Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about judgement

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

questions about judgement

Have paid the judgement against me and started thinking about how it happened. I was working with a credit counseling company during that time. I called them the other day and asked when they had submitted their payment plan to the company that sued for a judgement.They said that the company (called valley empire collection) had received the offer before the court date and agreed to it 2 days after the judgement. So they knew the account was being offered a payment plan and still sued and then accepted the plan. Is this ethical? I have paid it off and am hoping to get it off my credit report. I appreciate any wisdom anyone can offer. Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: questions about judgement

Their offer was not a legal agreement until signed by you, or your legal rep.  It was a negotiation offer that had not been accepted.

As such, there was no agreement of the parties to present to the court as a pre-trial settlement.

I speculate that you did not show in court, as it could have been finalized prior to trial and the court then notified as such.

Message 2 of 4
trc1962
Regular Contributor

No, I was stupid and when the credit counselor said it was not necessary to attend as the deal had been offered, I listened to him. The payments were begun and I never heard anything else. One year later i found the judgement on one credit report and it had not quite paid off.  I guess you learn the hard way sometimes. I quit using the credit counseling service because they were only paying some creditors and holding others. If I had attended it could have been taken care off.

Message 3 of 4
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@trc1962 wrote:

No, I was stupid and when the credit counselor said it was not necessary to attend as the deal had been offered, I listened to him. The payments were begun and I never heard anything else. One year later i found the judgement on one credit report and it had not quite paid off.  I guess you learn the hard way sometimes. I quit using the credit counseling service because they were only paying some creditors and holding others. If I had attended it could have been taken care off.

Is the lien satisfied now? If not, pay it off, get the satisfaction certificate and then you can work on getting it vacated depending on your state laws.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.