Frequent Contributor

"Consumer disputes this account information"

Account opened: 9/2012
Description: Consumer disputes this account information
Collection account
 Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$1,616 
Past due:$1,616$1,616
Status:At least 120 days or more than four payments past dueAt least 120 days or more than four payments past due
Last activity:7/1/20117/1/2011
Description:Collection account
Consumer disputes this account information
Collection account

I never disputed this account. I sent a PFD... is that what could have caused this comment?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: "Consumer disputes this account information"

A "Consumer Disputes" code is entered when the consumer has filed a dispute under either the FCBA, dealing with CC billing, or under the FCRA, dealing with accuracy of reported information.  If you did not file either, that is incorrect reporting.  It remains until the dispute is concluded, and thus in your case, could never be updated to show the dispute is concluded. 

You are most likely correct in assuming it was filed by the debt collector, as it refers to the collection.

Not surprising, in that many, many posts have been made here on the site regarding threats by debt collectors to report a pending dispute as response to a PFD request.  It even goes so far, in many cases, to response to a DV, and often includes a requirement for the consumer to provide addtitional information to complete their "dispute."

Even though there is no "dispute," if they have reported as such, they are required to conclude the dispute within 30-ish days, which they then go on to ignore.

You can file a direct dispute with the furnisher, or a dispute via the CRA, challenging the accuracy of reporting of a pending dispute.

Either dispute process sets a 30-day period for the dispute to be concluded, with Notice of Results sent to you within 5 days thereafter.

That Notice must inform you either that they either verify the accuracy of their reporting, or delete it. 

The catch-22 is that the consumer is forced fo file a for-real dispute in order to challenge the reporting of a bogus dispute.

Message 2 of 5
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Does this additional comment hurt my score even further? Literally was going to call them tomorrow and offer a settlement and then GW them to death after as they absolutely refuse to PFD.

Message 3 of 5
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

The comment will not effect your score however if you apply for a mortgage loan I can almost guarantee you will have to get the comment removed. This alone can be a headache for some people.

Message 4 of 5
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@Mondavi wrote:

The comment will not effect your score however if you apply for a mortgage loan I can almost guarantee you will have to get the comment removed. This alone can be a headache for some people.

Luckily for me, I won't be ready for a mortage until looong after this is off my CR Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.