cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dead in the Middle" (3.75 years in, 3.75 years left) - Advice?

tag
daveg38
Established Contributor

"Dead in the Middle" (3.75 years in, 3.75 years left) - Advice?

So perhaps the title may seem a bit confusing.

I went through a horrific time in 2012-2013 where my credit card debt whooped my butt due to a layoff.

I have 10 chargeoffs, 7 good accounts (one open auto load with VW Credit, one open CC in FPB, one closed Fingerhut in good standing, one closed FPB in good standing, one closed Barclaycard in good standing, two closed auto loans in good standing) being listed across all 3. A judgment on EX is set to drop off in April.

Dates of first delinquency is showing (average) about 3.5 years old.

Scores are TU 571, EX 522, EQ 558. Think my inquiry count is 11, 9 and 10 respectively.

The debts are still being listed under the original creditor, although I did have Portfolio Recovery doing some TCPA shadiness for Crappy 1 (which my attorney is settling as we speak) and slapped LVNV with another TCPA suit ($600 payday).

To the experts in this particular subforum, where do I go from here? Do I BK? Do I wait it out until the accounts are finally being listed under a collector?

I pay my auto loan on time, and just got the First Premier card. I paid all the fees and have a fresh $400 that I'm only planning to use for maybe a movie night (then pay off before statement cuts).

A solid plan of action would be appreciated.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: "Dead in the Middle" (3.75 years in, 3.75 years left) - Advice?

Do you plan on paying the debt that is now reporting as having been charged-off, or is your plan to ride it out until the derogs become excluded from your credit report, and then igore them? 

Credit report exclusion may help your three-digit score, and will make it more difficult for others to become aware of the unpaid debt by simply pulling your credit report, but you may be asked in the future tor disclosure of any unpaid delinquent debt, to which you would still be oblitated to disclose.

Will you be applying for new credit that involves a more thorough request for financial disclosure, such as a mortgage loan?

What is the SOL status of each debt?

The creditors may have their own plans for pursuit of the delinquent debts, and if they obtain a judgment, you could be placed under a court order to pay that could be extended for decades and appear in the public record.

Credit reprot exclusion is helpful, but does not cure all ills.....

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.