Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dispute Resolved" in comments after GW letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Dispute Resolved" in comments after GW letter

My wife and I are in the process of increasing out credit scores to be able to be able to apply for pre approval for a mortgage.  I've read on the forums here that a dispute listed on a report can disqualify me for a mortgage... which brings me here...

Back around July of 2016 I sent a GW letter to Capital One regarding an Open and active credit card.  I'd noticed a 30 day late payment being reported in May of 2013.  I sent them a GW letter citing the several years of on time payments and having no other late payments and asked for them to discard the 30 day late payment in May of 2013 to help improve my Credit.  I didn't ask to dispute or even hint at disputing the records.  I actually laid claim to the 30 day late payment and advised I was between jobs and funds were very hard to come by between my myself, wife and , at that time, 3 year old daughter.  

I'd noticed a comment being put on my Credit Files as saying "Dispute Resolved; Reported by Grantor" for the account.  My issue is this is an active and open credit card account also with the highest Credit Limit so I dont want to close the account and wait 7 years for it to fall off.  But I also don't want this Comment to hinder me from obtaining preapproval for a mortgage.  

I'm planning to submit another letter asking for the comment to be removed due to the fact that the information was not disputed and attach a copy of the original letter sent to them.

Does anyone else see any other options, or a better idea?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: "Dispute Resolved" in comments after GW letter

Hey I have had my comments removed regarding dispute just by calling the CB and telling them I am planning to apply for a mortgage and asked if they will remove and they did
Without any issues
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Hey I have had my comments removed regarding dispute just by calling the CB and telling them I am planning to apply for a mortgage and asked if they will remove and they did
Without any issues

That sounds easy enough... I'll give that a try if my letter doesn't do any good.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You clearly do not want to file an actual dispute in order to contest the incorrect showing of a dispute.

The best path is thus to attempt the CRA to informally remove the incorrrect showing that you disputed.

If they wont informally remove, then follow up with a complaint sent to the CFPB for improper credit report information denied removal by the CRA.

A CFPB complaint is not a dispute under the FCRA, and is likely to get the desired removal.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

You clearly do not want to file an actual dispute in order to contest the incorrect showing of a dispute.

The best path is thus to attempt the CRA to informally remove the incorrrect showing that you disputed.

If they wont informally remove, then follow up with a complaint sent to the CFPB for improper credit report information denied removal by the CRA.

A CFPB complaint is not a dispute under the FCRA, and is likely to get the desired removal.

I'm willing to do whatever is necessary/ reasonable to get it resolved I just felt it might be counter productive to actually dispute it, because then a Dispute notation on the account would be valid.  But I'm new to this so I'm hesitant to start processes on these things.

I appreciate your information and will be sending a letter to Capital One to see if I can get this straightened out.  If not I'll file the complaint with CFPB.  Thanks again!

Message 5 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

You are still missing a step of calling the Creditimg reporting agency to try to have them remove the dispute comments
Message 6 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Which that will most likely be your easier course of action Op. it only took me one 5 min phone call to get my remarks removed
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.