Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re: Lessons learned about rebuilding credit

tag
Sass2009
Valued Member

re: Lessons learned about rebuilding credit

I am always and forever grateful to this community for helping me dig myself out of credit hell.  And yet I find that once I started getting credit cards and having my credit limit increased that I am at 60% utilization and wondering how I got back to this place.  I pay all my bills on time and now working on paying off credit cards to get out of the hole.  So it feels like I am learning one more lesson about how to maintain my credit.  In other news I  have been in gardening mode for 3 months and super proud about it.  

Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 651
Goal Score: 700 Club

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

4/2012 - EX: 512, TU: 527, EQ: 530
02/13: TU: 628 EQ: 678 EX: 632 (FAKO)
Get in the 700 Club in 2013
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Re: re: Lessons learned about rebuilding credit

I can relate.  My score went up about 15 - 20 points allowing me to recieve credit cards, etc. so I went on a bit of an app spree.  Some I got with the shopping cart trick.  It seems once the credit starts rolling in, it's difficult to remember why you got in in the first place, and that was to NOT spend it. lol  I keep telling myself the things I want in the future and tell myself I won't get it if I purchase items that I don't have the money for or don't really even need.

I'm sure you'll get back on track! 

Good job being in the garden!  I'm hoping to get there within the next few months, myself.

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 2 of 7
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

i think the toughest part is realizing that credit isn't a way to finance what you cant afford but rather a cash flow tool. I just went in to the garden, barclaycard haha. gosh its tough with all these guys on here talking about their 20k amex cards lol but they all did the work to get them. stay strong!

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 3 of 7
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

I can completely relate to that!  I used to have those types of credit limits in my former life so it is tough to see the others who have them.  A bit of the green monster of jealously, I dare say. haha, but being persistent and disciplined will get us there.  I just received a Kohl's card and a VS card yesterday in the mail.  I activated them, and now, I'm going to forget that I have them and hope they do their magic!

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 4 of 7
CreditSeductress
Established Member

It's a great feeling, coming from not being able to get credit, because you messed up so bad....to rebuilding, and being able to get the credit that you want.

Although with that being said, you always have to remember where you came from. The struggle that is was, and that it took to get you back in that good place.

I know it's hard, (From Experience), but you have to be Disciplined. If you don't NEED it, LEAVE it! That's my motto! If I WANT it, but can't pay for it by my credit cards due date, then I won't get it. That's how I stay out of trouble.

We also find ourselves applying for credit just to see if we'd be approved. I had to stop my brother in his tracks. I got him to a good place credit wise, and he applied for 2 cards he didn't need. (Actually he was approved at the register.) That's how I got in trouble in College. Just applying for every credit card they sent me. I'll never go back to that dark place, called BAD CREDIT. I have lived and learned, the hard way. Trust Me, I know it can be a struggle, but let "Discipline" be the word of the day, month, & year!

Always think in the back of your mind where you've come from, where you've been, and where you don't want to go back to.....Credit Wise!

Good Luck.

Message 5 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Try to remind yourself that using credit cards to finance any purchase is bad and costly. Credit cards are intended to be for convenience and building/maintaining a health/robust credit profile to support big purchases like homes and autos. I spent three years living with cash so I am now ver diciplined. I will not purchase anything for which I do not already have the money to pay for it within 30 days. That is how I do it.

Message 6 of 7
Startome
Regular Contributor

@CreditSeductress wrote:

It's a great feeling, coming from not being able to get credit, because you messed up so bad....to rebuilding, and being able to get the credit that you want.

Although with that being said, you always have to remember where you came from. The struggle that is was, and that it took to get you back in that good place.

I know it's hard, (From Experience), but you have to be Disciplined. If you don't NEED it, LEAVE it! That's my motto! If I WANT it, but can't pay for it by my credit cards due date, then I won't get it. That's how I stay out of trouble.

We also find ourselves applying for credit just to see if we'd be approved. I had to stop my brother in his tracks. I got him to a good place credit wise, and he applied for 2 cards he didn't need. (Actually he was approved at the register.) That's how I got in trouble in College. Just applying for every credit card they sent me. I'll never go back to that dark place, called BAD CREDIT. I have lived and learned, the hard way. Trust Me, I know it can be a struggle, but let "Discipline" be the word of the day, month, & year!

Always think in the back of your mind where you've come from, where you've been, and where you don't want to go back to.....Credit Wise!

Good Luck.

Good advice in any situation, my parents raised me will full knowledge of our financial situation from the time I was very young. I appreciate every bit of it, as I've avoided many of their mistakes.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.