Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-inserting old account

tag
soxcited
New Contributor

re-inserting old account

Hi All just checked my credit report and noticed that my oldest account is not showing up anymore. It was a paid car loan with no late payments. It is 10 yo so I think it naturally fell off. I was wondering if I should try to have it back on the report for a positive effect on my credit by contacting the creditor? Thanks.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: re-inserting old account

Hi sox,

Once the account is closed, it will usually drop off 10 years after closure.  (Well, once in awhile they stay on forever, but that's just dang lucky).  And if your account was nice enough to stay on the whole ten years, count your blessings.  Sometimes they drop off much earlier than that.

I'm always a little sad when mine drop off.  But they've done their good work on your credit report, and it's time to move on.

There's always something that can be done to up FICO scores.  Give us a litle info on what's on your reports and you'll find lots of feedback on steps you can currently take to improve your score.  ETA:  Oh, I see you've got another post with that information - good stuff!

And, if you haven't had a chance yet, take a peek at Credit Scoring 101

Edited to clarify first sentence per Guiness.  Thanks for pointing out the muckiness Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 5
soxcited
New Contributor

Hi thanks for the reply. This is my situation: My fico score is 550. couple of baddies, both within SOL 4 yo and verified. I think the reason why my score is so low is because i do not have any current open accounts. I opened two cc accouts. I want to get a mortgage loan and it requires 3 credit references. Thats why i thought maybe adding this old paid car loan would help.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi sox,

Once the account is closed, it will drop off.  (Well, once in awhile they stay on forever, but that's just dang lucky).  And if your account was nice enough to stay on the whole ten years, count your blessings.  Sometimes they drop off much earlier than that.

I'm always a little sad when mine drop off.  But they've done their good work on your credit report, and it's time to move on.

There's always something that can be done to up FICO scores.  Give us a litle info on what's on your reports and you'll find lots of feedback on steps you can currently take to improve your score.  ETA:  Oh, I see you've got another post with that information - good stuff!

And, if you haven't had a chance yet, take a peek at Credit Scoring 101

That is pretty misleading.  Once an account is closed, they do not drop off.  They can but, in the majority of cases they do continue to report for the entire 10 years.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Guiness.

I didn't mean to be misleading.  The OP had referenced falling off after the 10 years.

My post would more accurately read

"Once the account is closed, it will drop off - usually at or near 10 years after the closure date."  I'll edit to clarify.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.