Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re: paid OC what to do about CA???

tag
umeed110
Established Member

re: paid OC what to do about CA???

Hello,

I recently had a CA show up on my credit report. It was for a traffic ticket. I was pretty sure I had paid these tickets off so I logged onto my county website and saw that they were not paid. I do not live in that state anymore and I do not have a record of having paid it off but I am 99% sure I paid it in full. But instead of trying to spend time fighting this I paid it off directly to the county on their website. Now what do I do about the collection. Can I just dispute it with the CA or the credit bureau and hopefully the CA will not be able to verify because it is a paid amount paid directly to the original creditor? I am sure the local county is not going to be interested in verifying because it was already paid in full?

3/19/2014 ----FICO Scores: EX: 466 EQ: 476 TU: 565
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: re: paid OC what to do about CA???

In order to dispute, you must document some inaccuracy in their reporting.  They are not compelled to investigate a dispute unless a basis of inaccuracy is asserted that can be investigated.

If the debt collector still had collection authority at the time of payment of the debt, they are not required to delete their reporting.  The OC was required to notify the debt collector that the debt was paid, requring the debt collector to then close their collection, and report the current amount under their collection as $0.

Thus, should the CRA not dismiss the dispute, the debt collector could verify the accuracy of the reporting of the collection, and simply update the balance to $0.

You can pursue good-will requests to them for deletion of their reporting.

Message 2 of 6
umeed110
Established Member

The CA is RTR Financial. Does anyone have experience with them about their practices? I am hoping if I did out that the account is paid they don't reply and it gets deleted. What is the SOL on a traffic ticket? This was from 2006.
Message 3 of 6
umeed110
Established Member

The CA is RTR Financial. Does anyone have experience with them about their practices? I am hoping if I dispute that the account is paid they don't reply and it gets deleted. What is the SOL on a traffic ticket? This was from 2006.
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt collector is requred to obtain and report the DOFD to the CRA within 90 days after reporting their collection.

Their collection must be excluded from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

It should be at or beyond its exclusion period within months.

Message 5 of 6
umeed110
Established Member

What are the terms for an old traffic ticket. DoFD doesn't necessarily exist does it because it is not a charge or credit account? It's basically like a bill? If my dispute does not get it off I will dispute it is past credit reporting time frame. My initial dispute was that this is a paid account and not supposed to be in collections...let's see what happens.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.