Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refused payment!!!!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

refused payment!!!!!!!!!

So i was going through my credit report with a lender and the last "big" thing my fiance and i have left to address is a GEMB walmart card.  LOL I called to work something out with them because it was still collecting fees and interest.  Maybe get on a program like BOA 0% interest and like 50 bucks a month.  They refused my payment period!!!! They said they would not take a payment from us for anything? Being confused as to what company would turn down a payment of any kind i repeated myself to the lady. i said ok i understand you are not willing to work me out a program but i want to send in a payment so it does not get CO! the past due was $100 so i asked to do a payment over the phone and they REFUSED TO TAKE A PAYMENT!!!! I am now disputing them cause they cannot refuse my paymet!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: refused payment!!!!!!!!!

Is this account open or closed? How far behind are you-- when was the last time your account was *current*?

If it's open, and you were attempting to pay by check over the phone, have you had previous payments to bounce? Did you attempt to pay it in a Walmart store?

If it's closed, is it charged off? Has it been sent to collections? Have you been contacted by a CA or the collections dept. for GEMB? Have you received a dunning letter?

ETA: Disputing accurate information on your credit report is not a good idea, is unethical, and is likely to result in more trouble than you've bargained for in this case.

Message Edited by LilMirth on 07-18-2009 03:01 PM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

they were calling me "in an attempt to collect a debt" it was behind and that was the portion i was trying to pay.  I would worry about the current payment later that month!!! They would not take it!!!! I did not bounce any payment with them because i always paid in store.  i disputed the fact that they sent it as a charge off. i tried to pay they were unwilling to accept my payment.  unless it was what they wanted.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I'm confused (it's late and my brain may have shut down without informing the rest of me, LOL!)--

In your first post, you said that you called them to work something out. In this last one, you said that GEMB was calling you "in an attempt to collect a debt". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that this means that you called them back after a series of collection calls. What (exactly) were they asking you to do, during those collection calls, if not make a payment?

1. Is the account yours, or your fiance's? Is it a joint (not authorized user) account? Did they say that they wouldn't discuss the account with you, or accept payment from you (over the phone), because it's not your account?
  2. Did they say that they wouldn't accept a partial payment? Is the payment for the curent month already late? Were you offering a payment that was less than the full balance amount, plus late charges & whatever other fees they may have hit you with?
  3. Did they actually refuse payment, then and there, or did they refuse your proposal for payment arrangements?
  4. Did you go into a store and attempt to make a payment that way?
  5. Is the account closed & charged off? How long has the account been delinquent? It's possible that they can't accept payment, because they no longer own the account-- sold to a collection agency. Once the debt is charged off and sold, the OC can't accept your payment.

1yearorbust wrote:
they were calling me "in an attempt to collect a debt" it was behind and that was the portion i was trying to pay.  I would worry about the current payment later that month!!! They would not take it!!!! I did not bounce any payment with them because i always paid in store.  i disputed the fact that they sent it as a charge off. i tried to pay they were unwilling to accept my payment.  unless it was what they wanted.

From the highlighted portion, it seems that they wouldn't accept a partial payment that would fail to bring the account current, or PIFd, or your method of payment, or time frame was not acceptable. If the account is delinquent, and you're not paying on THEIR terms (the terms that you agreed to), then I don't understand what you're disputing. The CC issuer has every right to charge-of a delinquent account. It would appear that they're reporting correctly, so you shouldn't be disputing it. I think that you're putting yourself in a position to get sued-- You don't want to poke at an angry bear while you're well inside of the SOL.

Message 4 of 6
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Write to them. Also state that they refused payment. Make a fuss. Youve got to stop if from being a CO. The next time, get the details of the person you speak to if you havent this time so you could include that in your letter as well. Writing will always get things moving. A written letter is perceived as the first step of a threat and unfortunately some sort of a threat/leverage is required to get things done in many situations apropos banks, CCCs, CRAs etc.

ETA: The last two posts were quick!! Evidently, its gone to collections...well!..

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 07-19-2009 07:33 AM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well LilMirth,

They did call me and i called them back.  I was trying to get the account current! Thats the payment they refused.  because it did not include this months payment which was not due until a week later.  I was trying to work out something with them due to the fact it was already closed because my fiance had it in credit counseling and was getting ripped off.  They spoke to me because my fiance gave them permission and because it was my account they were taking the money out of.  They did not have a problem until i said i would bring the account current and then call back and talk to the account sup that i was told was the only person that could talk to me about a deal then i would make the other payment in store if need be by next week.  Well needless to say I disputed it and won my facts were correct! So thanks everyone for your help!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.