Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove that from my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

remove that from my credit report

I have a hospital bill on my credit report from united collections. I call them on phone about it and they say they are no longer collecting that debt that it appears to have been removed from their office. I informed her they needed to then remove it from my credit report that they had no right to collect the debt. She informed me that she would update the balance to zero. I told her since she couldnt collect the debt that the account needed to be removed from my credit file and she told me no. She said she would just update it to read zero..... shouldnt they have to completely remove this?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: remove that from my credit report

There is a HIPPA process to follow which many people have used to successfully remove medical collections ~ google it for more info, and give it a try...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to me that if they do not have to remove this that they could just move it from agency to agency and each one could then mark your credit report and completely destroy a person with just one bill
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks pizzadude.... i will google the hippa process .... any other ideas?
Message 4 of 9
amanda1266
Valued Member

I had one like this.. Two collection agencies reporting the same bill.  I disputed through the credit reporting agency website, i told them that collection agency no longer had the debt.. a few days later the incorrect one was deleted.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks amanda..... i was afraid they would verify it and then i wouldnt have further recourse. They freely admited to me that the debt is no longer with their agency but were pretty clear to me they would just make it a zero balance. I asked them how they knew it was paid and they said they didnt but it was no longer with them and they couldnt delete it....seems weird to me
Message 6 of 9
amanda1266
Valued Member

Definately seems weird.. I would not contact the collection agency anymore... just dispute it and i'm certain it will be deleted.

Message 7 of 9
esme
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a hospital bill on my credit report from united collections. I call them on phone about it and they say they are no longer collecting that debt that it appears to have been removed from their office. I informed her they needed to then remove it from my credit report that they had no right to collect the debt. She informed me that she would update the balance to zero. I told her since she couldnt collect the debt that the account needed to be removed from my credit file and she told me no. She said she would just update it to read zero..... shouldnt they have to completely remove this?

Have you tried sending a DV letter to them? If they're no longer collecting on it, chances are they probably no longer have any records that will enable them to validate the debt, and if that's the case, they are required to delete it from your credit report. If they refuse to do so after they can't validate it, they'd be in violation of FCRA.

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@esme wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried sending a DV letter to them? If they're no longer collecting on it, chances are they probably no longer have any records that will enable them to validate the debt, and if that's the case, they are required to delete it from your credit report. If they refuse to do so after they can't validate it, they'd be in violation of FCRA.

No I have not tried that as of yet but she could clearly state over the phone everything about the debt with ease , so I doubt she would have a issue with validation. My issue is that it is on my report and it was clearly removed from their office and they are not allowed to collect on it. So it should be removed from my credit report. but she says no that she will just make it a zero balance.

How can she just make it a zero balance without knowing if the debt is paid or not?

How can she keep something on my report that she is no longer in charge of collecting?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.