Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing an unauthorized credit inquiry

tag
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

removing an unauthorized credit inquiry

Hey guys,

I have one unauthorized credit inquiry listed on my EX CR. There is an address listed and I was going to send them a letter stating I didn't approve of this, and have them remove it.

I am looking for a sample letter that would accomplish this. Does anyone have one that they can post?

Thanks!

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: removing an unauthorized credit inquiry

There really is no such thing, technically.  The inquiries section is a list reported of anyone who has obtained a copy of your CR....not just a list of people you applied for.  Even if it is a case of ID Theft, your CR was disclosed and thus law requires it to be reported.

The technical issue though, is that the law only requires the CRA to report it to you....they don't have to report it to others.  The fact that they do is a matter of CRA policy and agreements with their subscriber base who pay them fees for access.  Creditors want to know who has accessed your CR, as this is used in consideration of extending credit.

EX is impossible to have removed.  TU has been known to lose inquiries on occassion and EQ has on occassion deleted an inquiry...but CRA's are also very likely to slap an ID Fraud alert on your CR if you dispute an inquiry which would most likely give you more credit problems than the inquiry.

I would contact the company who pulled your CR and request to know their PP.

Is this listed identifiably as a collection agency?  The PP should be listed to some extent.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.