cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sample gw letter for paid state tax lien

tag
caliguy_7

sample gw letter for paid state tax lien

Can someone send me a sample GW letter that I can send to credit bureaus to get a "paid and released state tax lien" removed.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: sample gw letter for paid state tax lien

Requests for good-will deletion are not sent to the CRAs.  They are sent to the party who furnished the information to the CRAs.

Until the furnisher has instructed the bureaus to change their reporting, the CRAs have an obligation to maintain the integrity of the reporting as long as it has not been shown to be inaccurate.

As for paid tax liens, the first issue is to determine who reported the information.  Being public record information, the governmental taxing authority may not have been the furnisher. 

Message 2 of 12
CasperJack14
Contributor

I have the same type of thing on my credit report. It lists the Registry of Deeds next to the State Tax Lien. Does this mean that in order to get a GW adjustment, they are the ones that furnished the information and the ones that I would need to contact?

Starting Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Current Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
CarlyK82
New Contributor

Certain states do allow the removal of the tax lien once it is paid in full and satisfied. Maybe you will want to check with your state's department that handles taxes and see if that is an option.

Officially in the garden...for like, EVER (or at least a really long time)

Starting Score: TU: 636 EQ: ?? EX: ??
Current Score:TU: 641 EQ: 643 EX: ??
Goal Score: 700s Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
CasperJack14
Contributor

I live in Maine, and ME Revenue Services indicates that they do not report it to the CRA's.  The contact information is listed as the Registry of Deeds - is that who I would need to contact?  Or is this a matter of the CRA's searching through public record and finding it themselves? 

Starting Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Current Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
caliguy_7

I reached out to the State of California Tax Board and all they said was to submit a copy of the certified lien release to the CRAs. They said that they don't submit the lien information to the CRAs,  that is all that they could tell me.I'll submit a GW letter along with a copy of the lien release and see what happens.  any sample GW letters that someone can send me a link to.

Thanks in Advance.

Message 6 of 12
electra
Established Contributor

Hi Caliguy,

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but I've got three of those paid and released CA State liens and there doesn't seem to be a way to get them off other than disputing they are not yours (seems unlikely to succeed) or waiting 7 years from the date they were paid.  I think what the FTB was telling you was how to get it to show as _released_ which won't help your credit score but will help in a manual review.  

If you find any way...please do come back and let us know!

Message 7 of 12
caliguy_7

Its shows up as paid released on the credit reports now, but I want it completely removed. I have disputed with the CRAs a couple of times, but that has not worked. I'l try the GW letter and see what happens, it's worth a try.

If someone does have a good sample GW letter, please let me know.

Message 8 of 12
electra
Established Contributor

Hey Caliguy, 

Who are you sending a GW letter to? The FTB?

Message 9 of 12
caliguy_7

i'll send to both the FTB and the CRAs

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.