Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score drop for "no reason?"

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

score drop for "no reason?"

I received an alert from equifax that my score had dropped and when I checked, it had, by eleven points. I researched my current credit report and did not see any change. I have 3 accounts I am disputing that have been paid, but are showing as unpaid and equifax says the dispute is still being worked on. When I asked if he might know why my score dropped, he said "sometimes it happens for no reason in particular." I have been working on my scores for months and you just want to scream when you see your score dropping, but you aremaking progress. I have no new collection reports and have paid most of them off and yet my score drops. Any ideas appreciated. "Two steps forward, three steps back."

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: score drop for "no reason?"

@trc1962 wrote:

I received an alert from equifax that my score had dropped and when I checked, it had, by eleven points. I researched my current credit report and did not see any change. I have 3 accounts I am disputing that have been paid, but are showing as unpaid and equifax says the dispute is still being worked on. When I asked if he might know why my score dropped, he said "sometimes it happens for no reason in particular." I have been working on my scores for months and you just want to scream when you see your score dropping, but you aremaking progress. I have no new collection reports and have paid most of them off and yet my score drops. Any ideas appreciated. "Two steps forward, three steps back."

With all things being equal there is always a reason, scores dont just change without a material stimulus of some kind, it could be as innoculous as a payment history entry changing to you moving into a different bucket, re bucketing you can never see as it all looks the same when you look at the reports, the general mysteries of Fico score generation. I would just take it in stride and not worry to much about it. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
rfbs
Established Member

Re: score drop for "no reason?"

You may have received a similar notice in June 2014.  

Upgraded FICO Score FAQs

Why is myFICO upgrading the FICO® Score?

FICO Scores have been used by lenders since 1989. FICO periodically re-develops and update the scoring model to make sure it remains an innovative and accurate risk predictor. We also make sure the model keeps pace with changing consumer behaviors and incorporates our newest analytic technology. The majority of FICO Scores being pulled by lenders are generated based on this upgraded version so we have moved to the upgraded version so that you can have access to the same version.

Will my upgraded FICO® Score be different?

Likely, yes. It’s natural for scores to shift whenever a scoring system is updated. How much it shifts and in what direction will be unique to each consumer. Our research shows that nearly half of U.S. consumers have "updated FICO Scores that are relatively close to their scores from the previous version of the formula. It is possible for a greater score change to occur, but this type of movement simply means the updated model is doing a "better job of identifying those people who are lower credit risks from those who are higher credit risks. Regardless of score version, the actions that affect your FICO Score remain the same : Pay your bills on time Keep credit card balances low Open a new credit account only when you need it

Will my future score and alerts reflect the upgraded score?

Yes. Any myFICO solution that’s based on Equifax data will include the upgraded FICO® Score.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.