Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score drop??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

score drop??

i disputed some information on my credit report a few days ago. score went from 599 down to 580. the information is below. the dispute has now been verified with no change. the only thing i can see happend is the credit limit went up to $1,565.. why is that? they have been reporting a different amount all these years and now its higher? im confused

MARKS & MORGAN JEWELERS  

Account opened: 3/2003
Description: Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Amount in H/C column is credit limit

Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0$0
Past due:$0$0
Status:Bad Debt; Placed for collection;Bad Debt; Placed for collection;
Last activity:5/1/20055/1/2005
High credit:$796$1,565
Description:Account transferred or sold
Charge off account
Amount in high credit is original charge-off amount
Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Amount in H/C column is credit limit
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: score drop??

Important question: Is the 580 AFTER the dispute cleared?

The $1,565 isn't a CL. It's the high balance. At some point they failed to update the high balance. In terms of FICO scoring, this doesn't matter in your example because the before balance was $0 and the after balance was $0. Therefore, the high balance or former CL never factored in.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry the 580 was while it was under review. after dispute was finished it went up to 582. but why did it drop so many points to begin with? i dont see anything else on my report that has changed.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

sorry the 580 was while it was under review. after dispute was finished it went up to 582. but why did it drop so many points to begin with? i dont see anything else on my report that has changed.

I don't think the source of the score drop was this TL. While in dispute, the payment history and balance/CL are ignored. Since the balance was already $0, you can rule util out. Well...thinking through this....it could have an impact if the TL still reported as opened, but it shows that it was CO'd...so no, util is out. Payment history is out too since FICO ignores your payment history on OC accounts during a dispute. There is nothing else within that TL that could have caused a drop while disputed.

Were there any other TLs disputed? Were there any disputed TLs on other CRAs that may have carried over to this CRA (usually OCs and CAs will mark a TL in dispute on all 3 after receiving the first dispute request). I'd also look for any changes to balances, any changes to TLs, etc.

ETA....the 599-580-582 score history came from the same source, right? Namely ScoreWatch?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes they all came from score watch. ive checked credit report and see no other changes. i dont know what it could be. thanks for your help

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.