cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score of 510, how long to get high...

tag

score of 510, how long to get high...

I have a fico of around 510 (fako, havent got my real fico in a while)

How long would it take to get it high enough to get a $4,000 loan?

I have nothing good on it, and I also have one big negative on it which

is not supposed to be there. So if I get that taken off, thenget a

secured loan, how long do you think until I could get such a loan?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: score of 510, how long to get high...

Well there is no one time frame for which that can be predicted.  The first thing you need to do is get your real FICO score, FAKO scores are calculated different, and can often be wildly different from a true FICO score.  I would suggest you list the negative items in your report in this thread (removing all personal information like name, account number, SSN, etc), and people on here would be more than happy to give you advice on what steps you should take.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Joe. Theres no way to tell you how long it will take to get to where you need to be. What negatives do you have?
Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can get each of your reports free, once a year from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I would get each one and post the accounts you have questions on, leaving out personal information.

FICO scores are very hard to predict.  Too many different factors.  AAoA, payment history, credit mix, utilization, all of these play into a FICO score.

Just getting one major baddie removed and still having many negatives is not going to give you much, if any, of a score increase.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I concur with Guiness.  I would not be concerned now about pulling FICO scores now.  It is CR cleanup time, and if you have not requested a CR from annualcreditreport.com in the last year, that is the first place to go.  This is NOT a commercial site.  It is a totally free access to your full CR from each CRA under the free annual access provisions of the FCRA.

How much score increase can be expected depends solely on what your current derogs are, and how you address them.

IF you have one big derog on there which is "not supposed to be there," what is it?  That appears to be a starting point....

Message 5 of 8

I have one major thing (about $1k)... but it isnt MINE!  SO I can get that taken off

Everything else is under $100.

I need to get a secured CC.... is it possible to raise my score high enough to get a $4k loan in 6 months with a secured credit card?

I should get 2 or 3 maybe?

Message 6 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

If you have no credit cards,  you should get 1 or 2 secured cards right away and start using them.  Use them every month and PIF.   Make sure utilization is low when you go for the loan, don't worry about until then. 

This will provide some history which will improve your score.

Careful who you pick, there are some terible secured cards out there, and some good ones.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@To700andbeyond wrote:

I have a fico of around 510 (fako, havent got my real fico in a while)

How long would it take to get it high enough to get a $4,000 loan?

I have nothing good on it, and I also have one big negative on it which

is not supposed to be there. So if I get that taken off, thenget a

secured loan, how long do you think until I could get such a loan?

Thanks

Not enough information.

I agree with everyone who says don't worry about your score, worry about cleaning up your report and making sure the positive tradelines outweight the negative.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.