Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sent PFD and now they want me to call

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

sent PFD and now they want me to call

I am in the process of seeking PFD's in exchange for a settlement from many collection agencies, all medical debt from when I was very sick with a life threatening condition. I emailed and faxed a PFD to Commonwealth Financial yesterday and this morning, I had a response in my inbox stating: "I did get your email. Can you please call 1-800-835-8985 ext 189. We need to verify we are speaking to the correct party."

I really only want to deal with these agencies via writing so that I have record of it - do they actually need to verify anything? Couldn't anyone pay off this debt? Ive searched high and low and can't find an answer to this anywhere on the forums. Do I have the right to respond and tell them that I will only communicate in writing?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

Re: sent PFD and now they want me to call

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the process of seeking PFD's in exchange for a settlement from many collection agencies, all medical debt from when I was very sick with a life threatening condition. I emailed and faxed a PFD to Commonwealth Financial yesterday and this morning, I had a response in my inbox stating: "I did get your email. Can you please call 1-800-835-8985 ext 189. We need to verify we are speaking to the correct party."

I really only want to deal with these agencies via writing so that I have record of it - do they actually need to verify anything? Couldn't anyone pay off this debt? Ive searched high and low and can't find an answer to this anywhere on the forums. Do I have the right to respond and tell them that I will only communicate in writing?

They will do a pay for delete but when you call them dont use your main phone and dont give them your number, tell them to send the agreement in writing and you will send them a money order, but I know they will do a pay for delete just make sure its on your terms.

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

dashpt, thank you so much for your response, I really really appreciate it. I posted again with the followup, I did call them and they did email me a signed agreement to settle for 50% and to delete from credit reporting agencies. My only question is this: the offer says it is only good for today, since I have a signed agreement am I safe to respond back with my bank account and/or debit card information to pay this today?

Message 3 of 17
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

dashpt, thank you so much for your response, I really really appreciate it. I posted again with the followup, I did call them and they did email me a signed agreement to settle for 50% and to delete from credit reporting agencies. My only question is this: the offer says it is only good for today, since I have a signed agreement am I safe to respond back with my bank account and/or debit card information to pay this today?

If it was me I would since I have that singed agreement for 50% if they take more than that you can use that agreement as proof, another thing I would do is spend 3$ and get one of those money cards at walmart load it with the amount they are settling for that way they can only get whats on the card......Lets see what others think about this.

Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Message 4 of 17
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

How about just sending a money order ?
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 5 of 17
JPeanut503
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anytime I have asked for a PFD they have called me and wanted to talk to me first.

Beginning myfico score watch 608 (4/4/14)
EQ 652 (9/17/14) myfico
TU 641 (9/17/14) myfico
EX 671 (9/17/14) myfico
**Goal Score: 700 across the board
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jpeanut503 I did call and talk to them, they are willing to settle for 50% and sent me a signed document stating such. My question now is whether I should send them my debit card info since I have this signed agreement and it says the discount is only valid for one day. 

Message 7 of 17
JPeanut503
Frequent Contributor

I have paid my PFD via my debit card before. They were minimal amounts (I believe the most was for $130), but I was also paying the full amount, not a percentage. As someone else said you DO have the letter stating the amount they are going to accept from you; so you do have that if they try to take more. I have never had a collection agency take more - but I have read on the boards that it has happened before.

If I were you, I would go ahead and pay it - just my opinion.

Oh and I would ask them to send you a letter verifying that it has been paid!

Beginning myfico score watch 608 (4/4/14)
EQ 652 (9/17/14) myfico
TU 641 (9/17/14) myfico
EX 671 (9/17/14) myfico
**Goal Score: 700 across the board
Message 8 of 17
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@JPeanut503 wrote:

I have paid my PFD via my debit card before. They were minimal amounts (I believe the most was for $130), but I was also paying the full amount, not a percentage. As someone else said you DO have the letter stating the amount they are going to accept from you; so you do have that if they try to take more. I have never had a collection agency take more - but I have read on the boards that it has happened before.

If I were you, I would go ahead and pay it - just my opinion.

Oh and I would ask them to send you a letter verifying that it has been paid!

Good advice asking for a letter showing proof of payment!!!!!!!

Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for such great advice and for your help! I did give them the information, they charged my card the correct amount within about 2 minutes and immediately sent me a letter confirming that they had processed it and will be deleting it from my reports. Wow. I've been dealing with A LOT of credit agencies and have not had this kind of immediate help and response yet! Now to see if they actually delete is another story, but I'm impressed thus far. Thank you again for your help. I'm sure I'll be back as I wade through my giant stack of medical collections. Smiley Sad 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.