Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settlement on a garnishment?

tag
Sdenisew
Regular Contributor

settlement on a garnishment?

I got a order of non wage garnishment. I posted about it earlier today. I spoke with an attorney who advised me that my best best was to file for bankruptcy to stop the garnishment. I've worked really hard to repair my credit and am devastated at this idea, but I can't afford an attorney and 17,000.00 us a lot of money and it's money that I don't have. 

I was wondering if it's possible to settle with the collections company and see if anything can be done about the judgement. So far it's not appearing on my credit report but i'm sure that will change. Now that they have my ex's employment information they start to go after him, but I know I'm still going to be held liable for this. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I mean offer a settlement (2,000 on a 17,000) I was thinking of informing them that I'm considering bankruptcy and something is better than nothing, but I don't want to file. I'm just not starting to do good with my credit and this comes out of the blue. I'm devastated. 

01/30/09
TU-582
EX-507
01/25/09
EQ-504
As of 02/08/09 EQ-508

03/03/08
TU-599
EQ-511
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: settlement on a garnishment?

I've had an employee stop a wage garnishment after we had to zap the first payment out of his check. He called their attorney and settled via voluntary partial payments greater than the garnished amount, but settled at a lower total amount in the process.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.