Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheriff showed up....

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: sheriff showed up....

The summons likely sets a due date for providing an answer to the court.

It is critical that you respond to the court within the set period to avoid a default judgment. 

If at all unclear as to what you should provide in your answer to the court, then you should definately consult an attorney.

Message 11 of 14
camniamom
Established Member

I had a similar experience with a creditor. I got in touch with the lawyer and he was very friendly. He told me what I needed to pay to have the case dismissed. At the time the creditor was not authorizing a payment plan. The wanted payment in full. I had a little time as the court case was about two months away. I sent them the payment via FedEx just to ensure that they received it and the case was dismissed. I didn't even have to show up.

Starting scores: EX: 498 TU: 514 EQ: 521
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please tell us the trick of how you had them removed from your credit report?
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty much in the same boat. They have been trying to serve me but so far have not been able to locate me. I'm trying to prepare ahead of time and then will likely go in and claim the summons and get the ball rolling.

Ok, so dont panic, time to do some research or lawyer up.

Note that since you have been served the meter is now running. Depending on your state you have about 15-30 days to file a response to the complaint. Even if you do not get a lawyer make sure you file a response. If you dont, they get a default judgement for the full amount, plus any fees and will have full access to wages, liens, banks, you name it.  

I wish I had more to offer, but from what I have seen the absolute worst thing you can do is ignore it and let them win by default. There are some good videos on youtube going over what you should do and how you should respond. Get busy researching and get on it before time runs out. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.