Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I default?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

should I default?

I have 2 student loans (one payment) with mohela. Tried GWing for about 6 months now with no luck AT ALL!!! I did a forebearance two different times, about a year apart. both for 6 months. I now have 6 months consecutive lates on both loans from 2008 and 2010.

The conclusion ive come down to is... If I default and then make 9 payments via rehab program, they take all of the derog away, but I've been making on time payments for 2 years now and they wont even give me a chance.

So default and hurt my score, but get everything removed in 9 months, or keep going as most hit the 2 year mark soon enough and hope that helps to where those lates wont matter. It has my on-time percentage as 84% which is terrible, but I didnt know they would count those forebearances as late payments. Ive only paid late (knowingly) 2 times on that loan, but its killing my on-time payments history.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: should I default?

That seems so unfair that you have to default all the way to fix this. I would not purposely default. I would imagine the score damage would be terrible. I would keep making ontime payments and attempting to goodwill.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 2 of 15
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

thats the frustrating part. They tell me they dont revise payments, but they did for people who defaulted, just not the ones that paid on their own goodwill. Now I have to let it default to prove I can pay 9 months payments for them to remove lates.

Doesnt make sense, but I cant get anyone to explain it at their dept either so I dunno?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 15
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I know it would be very frustruating but don't do anything you will regret because time heals. A score of 644 is not that bad and in a manual review it can be explained. I would be scared you would fall into the 500's. Do you have any other credit cards? If so, a score decrease might cause them to cut limits and jack up interest rates and create a domino effect of trouble. Keep going forward..that is what I would do if it were me. Sorry you are going through this.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 4 of 15
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Yeah I guess not. I dont want to, but It just frustrates me. Hopefully once they hit the 2 year mark they wont hurt as much.

Message 5 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

Yeah I guess not. I dont want to, but It just frustrates me. Hopefully once they hit the 2 year mark they wont hurt as much.

I don't know how student loan rehabs work, so can't really advise you on that.  But I can say that the two year mark can make a world of difference.  I had 7 accounts that went seriously late in 2008.  Two went to 150 days, two or three to 120 days, the others 90, and maybe one of them only got to 60.  In any event, it was a bad stretch for six months.  As they all went past two years, I moved back into 700+ range. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 15
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

thats good to know. I saw a nice jump when my 60 hit the 2 yr mark, now I have a 90 and four 120s to hit that by december. crossing my fingers

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read this, and my heart just broke a little.

My initials are JC too, so as one JC to another, let me be superhonest. The stupidest thing I ever did was let those loans go to default. I started my rebuilding with a terrifying 450 score. That was a lender pull, BTW. And I can’t see you, don’t know you – but my eyes well up just writing that. It’s pretty humiliating to be 37 years old and be facing that level of credit problems.  

I have spent a great deal of time over on the Bankruptcy boards, pondering how people fresh out of discharge can be 100 points or so ahead of me. I would give my front teeth to have 2 years worth of on-time payments. And if you default, the rehab only takes away the derog info from when the loan went into default – so it really wouldn’t help remove the previous lates, anyway.

I have years to go to clean this up. Your 644 would thrill me to bits. Look how far you've come! Don’t default – not worth it in the long run.

Message 8 of 15
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

MY kindred spirit.  JD Byrider pulled a 420 EQ Jan 2011.  I received a bankruptcy discharge in Mar 2011 and these credit scores have been STILL under 500, nearly a year and a half later.  I don't know how some people get scores in the mid 600s after a mere year.  But for me, this has been a challenge and comtinues to be an uphill climb. I am hoping for scores above 600 by the end of next year.  Years of financial stupidity because my decline, but it NEVER was intentional.

I will add my two cents.  While it may seem better to let it default and rehab it, what happens if some unseen circumstance causes you to fail to rehab the loan.  Then you are SCREWED.  I say keep trying to GW, or dispute the late with the CRA.  But save the default for if it happens.

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 9 of 15
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I agree. I guess I was just a little upset that I can't get an answer. I just want to know why I can't get help, but people that didnt pay it got a get out of jail free card. I dont think that they shouldnt be eligible for it, dont get me wrong. I just think everyone shouldve gotten a chance to make up for their past mistakes the same way.

That was just my way of "sticking it to them" like they care lol but I figured It would show how stupid these lates really were.

Oh well. They are gone for now, and if all the derog doesnt go away then there would be no point anyways.

thanks for the input guys. Im content with my scores growth. I remember my apt pull 2 years ago and I could literally see the score... 410. I was ashamed. I knew nothing of credit or how it worked or what it did until I got out on my own and took charge of my finances. I did a PFD on a student loan and jumped 100 points. That kicked me into credit mode and since Ive been doing everything I can to tie up all lose ends.

You'll get where you wanna be soon enough. Good things happen to good people and you guys seem like good people giving good advice.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.