cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I involve a lawyer to clear up credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I involve a lawyer to clear up credit?

Hi - I have a few incorrect entries on my Experian report (a collection that should have been removed a while ago, an account that should be aged off). However, I also recently had my student loans moved to another company which took a hit on my credit, and I have to negotiate with Experian to have that fixed. I have access to a legal service through which an attorney can write the letters to EX to request the necessary changes - is it risky to do so? Will it alienate them, and does that matter? In other words, how much of that relationship is based on good will? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should I involve a lawyer to clear up credit?

I woudl hold off on involving lawyers until you have a very specific task for them. The information right here in these forums is enough to take care of all of the easily correctable stuff yourself. Once you use these techniques to narrow down to a difficult case or two, then figure out if it will be helpful to involve an attorney to apply leverage on those specific cases.  

That's just me, anyway. I've cleared up most of the easy stuff myself. What's left will be a matter of paying down open accounts, good will and natural aging, EXCEPT for one stubborn sleazeball CA who wants to play hardball, on a long-ago PAID account. If they continue to fight, I may involve an attorney at some point. But I'm holding that ace up my sleeve until absolutely necessary.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi - I have a few incorrect entries on my Experian report (a collection that should have been removed a while ago, an account that should be aged off). However, I also recently had my student loans moved to another company which took a hit on my credit, and I have to negotiate with Experian to have that fixed. I have access to a legal service through which an attorney can write the letters to EX to request the necessary changes - is it risky to do so? Will it alienate them, and does that matter? In other words, how much of that relationship is based on good will? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks so much!

if you have proof, paper disputes are far superior in my findings, as you can submit any and all needed documents to make your dispute pretty hard to deny, vs the online dispute where you just push a few buttons and hope the cra believes you 

Message 3 of 4
crrredit
Established Contributor

There are times when access to good legal help can be very useful. A professional letter from your attorney will not alienate the credit bureau unless they are taking a needlessly confrontational tone. ;No reason not to make sure your rights are being protected. Just avoid places like Lexington Law, which is not really a law firm and will just take your money.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.