Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I take a PFD over the phone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I take a PFD over the phone?

I know this is usually a huge no-no. But I have been mailing letters and emailing this company without any response. Finally called today and the lady offered a PFD if I payed in full. It is with ProCollect.
The debt is for $1,055. She said she wouldn't delete for anything less than full payment, but that I could pay $850, and they would report as PIF.
What say you?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should I take a PFD over the phone?

get it in writing before you pay DO NOT take their word for it.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I told the lady "I mean no offense to you, but how can I be sure that you aren't lying?" All she said was well, my name is so-and-so and this call is being recorded, I'm pretty site if I was lying to you that you would be pretty upset and complain. And I certainly don't want any complaints against me."
Hmmm....
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is perfectly fine to accept a verbal agreement. Its just as binding LEGALLY as a written agreement is. You are free to record their calls as proof if you wish.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought each state had their own rules about verbal agreements and recording calls
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Texas. As far as I know, it is legal to record phone calls, right?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some states, though, have laws that require that both (or all) parties on the line consent to the recording of the call. The confusion arises in the law when a person in a one-party consent state, like Texas, is talking to a person in a two-party consent state. Via Google
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verbal Contracts and Texas Law

January 26th, 2015
Verbal Contracts do exist and are legally enforceable in Texas, as a matter of law, if they meet necessary legal requirements and specificity. Adequate consideration must be given between the two parties of a verbal contract to make it binding. Adequate consideration is defined in two ways: (1) having a mutual reciprocal exchange [bargained for exchange] or (2) having legal value [an individual must do something that he is not legally obligated to do]. If adequate consideration is given between both parties and all other legal requirements are met, then a verbal contract may be held valid in a court oF LAW.

- Nacol Law Firm
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you're gold.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Some states, though, have laws that require that both (or all) parties on the line consent to the recording of the call. The confusion arises in the law when a person in a one-party consent state, like Texas, is talking to a person in a two-party consent state. Via Google

Does not matter in this case. They are already recording the call - that is implied consent to for you to record the call as well. No notification or permission is needed even in two party consent states if the party on the other end has already notified you they are recording the call.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.