cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I try PFD or pay and then send GW?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I try PFD or pay and then send GW?

I'm getting ready to send a PFD to Unique National Collections for $134 I owe my local library. Their verification letter says payment can be made directly to the library. Should I continue by sending a PFD offer to the CA or just go down to the library and pay it then ask the CA to delete it through a GW letter?

The original delinquency is from June 2008.

If the CA says I can pay the library, does that mean the library is still the owner of the account? Should I try asking them to direct their collection agency to remove it from my account?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: should I try PFD or pay and then send GW?

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm getting ready to send a PFD to Unique National Collections for $134 I owe my local library. Their verification letter says payment can be made directly to the library. Should I continue by sending a PFD offer to the CA or just go down to the library and pay it then ask the CA to delete it through a GW letter?

The original delinquency is from June 2008.

If the CA says I can pay the library, does that mean the library is still the owner of the account? Should I try asking them to direct their collection agency to remove it from my account?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!

All of what you just said

yeah they assigned the debt, so I would contact that library and ask in exchange for payment would the mind recalling the debt and advise the CA to delete.

The CA doesn't have to do this, but they likely would to appease their client..

I would advise talking to someone in the libraries finance office if they have one..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, send the PFD.  Also I do believe I read somewhere where they will delete after 1 year vs. the 7 1/2 year normal CRTP.  If I get a chance I'll do the research on that.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unique is an odd kind of CA; they don't do PFD nor do they GW. But Shogun is correct in that they will delete a year after payment.

I don't know what the rules are about linking to other sites, so I'm hesitant to link - but if you google "Unique National Collections" you'll get a wealth of info.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I just read up on them and they really are 'unique'! It sounds like they are very strict, but at least they do have a 1 yr removal policy. I will try my luck with the librarian and see if she'll ask them to delete it (I won't hold my breath). If she won't then I will just have to work extra hard on those other PFD and GW letters knowing this one for sure is going to remain on here.

When I pay it, will it damage my score very much (as it will bring it "current" when it was already so old)?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope.There was zero change to my credit score when I paid mine; FICO, I'm told, doesn't distinguish between a paid vs unpaid account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.