Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i CFPB?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i CFPB?

I recall having had a bank of america checking account that was overdrafted last year, and now after I tried apping for a bank of america card, being denied, and called recon, I found out one of the reasons for the denials is the old overdraft... Smiley Sad

It was me trying to satisfy a requirement to get my checking bonus, but it somehow got overdrafted and I closed it.

I currently have no bank of america checking and 1 credit card. Should I CFPB to get that overdrawn note off my Chex reports or something? Thx

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: should i CFPB?

No. If you closed with overdraft, that is the consequence.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Exactly.  BoA is perfectly within their rights to deny you a card due to the overdraft.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Exactly.  BoA is perfectly within their rights to deny you a card due to the overdraft.

Agree. The record they reported is accurate.

Also, you're not entitled to credit - it's their choice to decide whether to extend it. Sorry and I know it's frustrating for you.

Message 4 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The information is accurate. It's not really something you can dispute with CFPB. If anyone could just call and have things removed from their report that were accurate, what's the point of reports existing?

In any event, BOA has the right to decline for whatever reason they choose, and sometimes there isn't a whole lot you can do. Sorry OP.

Message 5 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I agree with the above unless there is more to the "some how it go overdrafted" line!   If that was a bank mistake, then you could try to get it remove from ChexSystems, but I assume you don't really think it was their error.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, your statement is a bit confusing.

First step should never be to file a complaint.

If you were unaware of the overdraft, go into a branch and get the information on the overdrafted account. Talk, in person, to a branch manager about it. If they find it was their error, they have the power to correct it. If it was your error, you can at least work with the branch manager to rectify the overdraft and begin repairing your relationship with BoA. 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry if i wasn't more clear. I had $0 in the checking account and for some reason the direct deposit didn't satisfy the monthly waiver, so I was charged like $20, causing the overdraft. I asked them to waive the fee and they did, and I subsequently closed the account a few days later. A month ago, I went to apply for a second card and they noted this overdraft in the denial letter. Should I go for the CFPB still?

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

sorry if i wasn't more clear. I had $0 in the checking account and for some reason the direct deposit didn't satisfy the monthly waiver, so I was charged like $20, causing the overdraft. I asked them to waive the fee and they did, and I subsequently closed the account a few days later. Should I go for the CFPB still?

Like I said, first step shouldn't be a complaint. Go talk to BoA to work it out. Tell a branch manager what happened and they wil work through it with you to get it fixed. If you have any documentation from the waiver of the fee, bring it with you.

Message 9 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

sorry if i wasn't more clear. I had $0 in the checking account and for some reason the direct deposit didn't satisfy the monthly waiver, so I was charged like $20, causing the overdraft. I asked them to waive the fee and they did, and I subsequently closed the account a few days later. A month ago, I went to apply for a second card and they noted this overdraft in the denial letter. Should I go for the CFPB still?

So something happened from the time you closed the account and when it was reported to ChexSystem. I would call them back to see if you can get more information on this and possibly go to the branch and have them research. I would also call and get a copy of your ChexSystem report.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.