Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i GW a delete or do hippa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i GW a delete or do hippa?

I was in the process of getting information together to have 2 paid medical collections from Escallate removed. They are dated 2007. I paid them in 2008 I believe. I want them GONE. I was going to do Hippa, but should I maybe try a GW since I paid them and since they are set to fall off in 2 years maybe they will remove early? What would be the best route to take?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: should i GW a delete or do hippa?

Hi and Welcome to the forums,

I dont know what to tell you, except to keep doing what you are doing. That is your homework and knowing all your options.

The search funtion is a wonderful tool here to use. So,this may help you. I did a search for "Escallate" and only found one member to mention this CA.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/ESCALLATE-called-and-offered-a-pay-for-delete...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/HIPAA-Halted/m-p/1026540

The date of removal is 7 1/2 years, but with medical, the starting day is the date of medical service.

Let us know, what's happening along the way and if you can help.

Ok, I'll let others chime in too, Smiley WinkGood Luck to you.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 14
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Hi and Welcome to the forums,

I dont know what to tell you, except to keep doing what you are doing. That is your homework and knowing all your options.

The search funtion is a wonderful tool here to use. So,this may help you. I did a search for "Escallate" and only found one member to mention this CA.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/ESCALLATE-called-and-offered-a-pay-for-delete...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/HIPAA-Halted/m-p/1026540

The date of removal is 7 1/2 years, but with medical, the starting day is the date of medical service.

Let us know, what's happening along the way and if you can help.

Ok, I'll let others chime in too, Smiley WinkGood Luck to you.

ok so it's been a minute since I've thought about the 1 paid medical collection on my CR also from 2007, but I was under the impression that you couldn't use the HIPAA process on a paid collection? If I'm incorrect, please let me know! I would loooove to have this stupid thing removed! Thanks!

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 3 of 14
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

I was going to HIPAA, what a waste of time. Send the OC the payment plus fees then DV.. Medical offices don't sell their debt, they may Charge off to get a tax credit, but they don't sell

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The HIPAA process is basically a challenge against their legal ability to maintain medically-related information in your credit file once their is no longer the permissible purpose of collecting on the medical debt.

GWs are requests for voluntary deletion.

I dont see anything improper or contradictory in pursuing both.  You can assert that it is improperly being maintained, while also asking them to voluntarily delete based on their own good-will.  Essentially, kinda suggesting that can save both parties the time and aggravation of pursing their mandatory deletion by just deleting.

The HIPAA process is an interpretation of statute, and not a solid requirement that specifically designates information in your credit file as being improperly maintained once debt is paid.  It is messy, and they may just voluntarily delete, having no more vested interest in using the reporting as a collection tactic.

Message 5 of 14
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The HIPAA process is basically a challenge against their legal ability to maintain medically-related information in your credit file once their is no longer the permissible purpose of collecting on the medical debt.

GWs are requests for voluntary deletion.

I dont see anything improper or contradictory in pursuing both.  You can assert that it is improperly being maintained, while also asking them to voluntarily delete based on their own good-will.  Essentially, kinda suggesting that can save both parties the time and aggravation of pursing their mandatory deletion by just deleting.

The HIPAA process is an interpretation of statute, and not a solid requirement that specifically designates information in your credit file as being improperly maintained once debt is paid.  It is messy, and they may just voluntarily delete, having no more vested interest in using the reporting as a collection tactic.

So, Robert, what you are saying is that you CAN do the HIPAA process on a paid medical collection? I hope that is what you are saying because I have one that I've begged for GW and the CA won't budge..they refuse to delete.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 6 of 14
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Yes it will work but takes effort. A law firm associated with collection agency is a bottom feeder. They don't want the headache of this and will kick it back to the medical office

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Message 7 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

The HIPAA process is tailored toward getting a paid medical collection removed. But you have to pay the OC first. It won't work if the CA has been paid; only the OC.

Message 8 of 14
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

The HIPAA process is tailored toward getting a paid medical collection removed. But you have to pay the OC first. It won't work if the CA has been paid; only the OC.

That was what I was trying to ask. I paid the CA before I ever found this forum. *sigh* So, I'm basically left to continuing my begging of this CA for GW, huh?

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 9 of 14
TEK2TIRADO
Established Member

can so one pm me on the process?

Starting Score: 619 TU FICO, 584 EQ FICO
Current Score: 619 TU FICO, 584 EQ FICO, 619 EX lender pull 3/23/12
Goal Score: 620 by August for new house

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.