Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i close it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i close it?

i HATE credit one.

i paid my card to $0 bal in january and don't use the card because of the ridiculous APR. i am paying $8.25 a month (annual fee) for the last few months for a card that I hate and won't ever use again.  i want to cut them off SO BAD! but i know closing accts probably wont be great for me. right now i have:

BofA Cash Rewards 

BofA Bank Americard

Capital One Platinum Mastercard (2)

Capital One Platinum Mastercard (from my old Orchard Bank/HSBC that was transferred)

Capital One QuickSilver One

Credit One

Victoria's Secret Store Card

Walmart Store Card

my goal was to close that acct once i was able to get up to a chase card or something a little better than i have now. not something i plan to apply for anytime soon. but honestly i can't bear to pay that $8 for any longer.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Re: should i close it?

Close it! You have way better cards now, and the positive history on a closed account will stay on your report, helping your AAoA, for 10 years.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say burn the card. It looks like you have a good assortment of cards to garden until you're ready to go bigger. The credit one card served it's purpose and now it's time to move on.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you have more than enough accounts to compensate for that one. As long as the reduction in total credit does not push you UTI% up you should be fine.

Four Cap One cards.... I still can't figure out why they keep telling me I have too many accounts (when I app for a new card) when I only have a QS account and a QS1 account.

I want one more bank card, and maybe a store card (I have FH card $400), but can't get approved anywhere and I refuse to use the predator lenders. I'm beginning to think it might be best to just go with a secured card from US Bank or SDFCU.

I also can't seem to ever get the SCT to work either, maybe I just don't have the patience to keep trying multiple times, multiple browsers, etc...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is great!! i really needed to hear this from all of you.

ugh i know Smiley Sad capital one was my go-to once i realized they would approve me with crap credit manyyyyyy years ago. applied for one as one of my first cc's. then a few years later applied for 2 back to back thinking i was on a roll (not). then my hsbc was bought by cap one.

i recently called BofA backdoor for a CLI (success btw), but one of the first questions he asked me was why i have so many CapOne accts. awkward silence....

the SCT NEVERRRR works for me either! i've tried every browser, cleared my cookies, everything. no luck here!

thanks againnnnnnnnnn!. i will be calling CrapONE today to pay my $8 bal and close my acct. WOOOOOHOOO!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

did i also mention that they keep "pre-approving" me for CLI's for a super low one time fee of $24.95!!!! (salesman voice)

HA.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL - about 10 years back, before my BK7, when I was totally clueless, I had a slew of junk cards. I remember there was one that every six months would allow me to 'buy' a $250 CLI for the low, low price of $100! At the time, I thought I was getting a bargain!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The deed is done.

Although it took about 4 declines of CLIs (still with the fee), I am now Credit One freeeeee wooooohooooo!!!!
Message 8 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
The deed is done.

Although it took about 4 declines of CLIs (still with the fee), I am now Credit One freeeeee wooooohooooo!!!!

Grats on getting rid of Credit One. I see you posted and referred to credit one as crap one. Crap one is a reference to Capital One. I dont know of any derog name assoociated with Credit One though IMO they are a crappy card  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha good to know! So many crap cc companies I get them confused lol Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.