Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

state tax liens

tag
dalasdon
Regular Contributor

state tax liens

i have state liens listed on my credit reports, on some they are showing as released and on others showing nothing.  on the state website they are showing as paid and released.  should i dispute and check the this lien has been released through equifax, or gw the state department of revenue?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: state tax liens

I'll let you know what I find out with my own situation (OH).  So far, dispute w/ CRA, came back "verified". Requested MOV. Sent me another "verified" form letter (lists the local courthouse).  Called courthouse, no, they don't "verify" these things.  Sent letter to state tax collector who referred me to the state atty general's office.  Sent them a letter and they sent me a copy of the original release.  I called that office, but never received a return call.  My "release" letter states that the lien is "cancelled", but that doesn't seem to matter to the CRAs.

ETA: in addition, none of the CRAs are reporting correctly, 2 have the dates wrong, 1 has the amount wrong and STILL they can manage to "verify".

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 2 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, the state does not issue "verification".  They provide the public records upon which a party can determine its status.  The "verification" was done by the CRA based on those records, which they are entitled to do under their "reinvestigation" rights under FCRA 611(a).

Technically, they were required to forward a copy of your dispute to the party who reported it, which also was probably not any state agency.  Their response to your MOV request should have identified any party they sent it to.  However, the CRA is not required to base their verification only upon results obtained from the furnisher.  They have the right to reinvestigate disputes filed through them.

I am not sure what action you requested in your dispute, but CR deletion is not the required outcome of inaccuracies in recording of dates.  Any inaccuracies can simply be corrected.

Tax liens can remain in your CR for 7 years from the date paid.  Yes, getting the dates properly of record in your file is important, but at this point would not result in deletion or improvement in credit score.

Message 3 of 12
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

I had initially disputed based on the letter saying the lien was "cancelled". When that came back verified, I disputed the date and amount for accurate reporting so it will come off correctly. Even with the copy of the document, they are all still reporting incorrectly, 8 months after it was paid.

That's when I got ticked and started writing the state agencies. It's bad enough after it has been paid and cancelled, the least they can do is report it right
Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 4 of 12
virgo
Established Contributor

Robert,

If I may add something; Tax liens can be completely removed from the cb's due to new laws.

If they are already paid and released its relatively easy. Go on the gov website and download the withdrawal form. It will not be done automatically. But all you have to do is request it.

If a lien is still owing, you just have to enter an agreement, make sure three consecutive payments are honored and you can make the request.

Also, digress decided the the states franchise tax board should do the same. But you would need to check with your own state government for the procedures.

Hope this helps.
Message 5 of 12
trece1025
Established Member

Is this correct that if we get a withdrawl form from our state that the paid tax liens will be removed from our credit reports? please advise. Thanks

Message 6 of 12
ando35
Frequent Contributor

I just tried that with NY state and they won;t delete it. All they did was send a letter syaing it was satisfied but it

's listed as paid on reports anyway.

Message 7 of 12
ando35
Frequent Contributor

It lasts on your report for five years if you live in NY and seven years if you have moved out of state.

Message 8 of 12
ando35
Frequent Contributor

They told me they wont "delete it" but they will send me a letter that it was satisfied.

Message 9 of 12
alexhortdog
Regular Contributor

I have a tax lien from the state of Nebraska that I paid off like 5 years ago.  How can I get this removed from my credit report?

Starting Score: 605 (Experian); 588 (Equifax); 590 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 626 (Experian); 667 (Equifax); 670 (TransUnion)
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.