Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

statue of limtations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

statue of limtations

I have several accounts that are on my credit report that has pass the statue of limtation for New York which i belive is 6 years, i would like to know how do i go about disputing these accounts?

And another question i have a car loan that im the joint borrower (it is a 1+ old)  the payments are never late or missed, what will happen to credit (thats is very poor) 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Re: statue of limtations

Welcome!

You don't dispute accurate items just because they are past SOL. SOL just means that you can no longer be sued for those items. If you're interested in getting rid of the items, your options would be to request a pay for delete or wait until they age off at about 7.5 years from the date of first delinquency.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

But the time as passed

Message 3 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

You said they are six years old. They can stay on your credit report for up to 7 1\2 years. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The statute of limitations is set by your state as the time in which the creditor must initiate a civil action if they seek a court judgment.

It has nothing to do with exclusion of information from your credit report.

Credit report exclusion applies to specific adverse items that have been reported to your credit report.

Each type of derog has its own period for credit report exclusion.

If you list the derogs that have been reported under each account,then we can state when it will become excluded.

Message 5 of 8
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Of course dispute them, no guarantee it will be deleted.

Too many puritans around here.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TXinandout wrote:
Of course dispute them, no guarantee it will be deleted.

Too many puritans around here.

One could easily end up "shooting oneself in the foot", should the accounts be dormant and end up being updated as a result of a dispute.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

it is not a matter of puritanism, it is a matter of not disputing based on an issue that has no merit.

Expiration of a statute of limitations on initiating civil action has no relevance to credti report exclusion, period.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.