Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

steps to rebuilding credit w auto repo

tag
ymmv
Established Member

steps to rebuilding credit w auto repo

Hey Everyone,

My credit journey is nearly complete and I'm now in the process of helping my gf. After a year of haggling, last week I pulled her credit report.

Very bad. She had car repo'd ~~ 2 1/2 years ago because she was in over her head in payments. She couldn't keep up. This figure is roughly $8,000.

Bad but fixable. She's had 3 credit cards that were charged off ( 250/250/500 ish). Never settled in any amount, never paid.

Sorta bad. She has no active cc's except for mine which she is currently an AU of. She never charges anything on them so I'm not worried. Given the baddies above though, I don't think I'm helping her much. Right?

Now following what I did I would pay off those 3 cc's in full and probably negotiate a deletion of the tradelines. What I don't know what to do is the repo. That's not a figure we can both pay off. (She doesn't even have the freaking car anymore) What's the best way to approach this aside from waiting it out? I don't think BK is an option though she has mentioned it jokingly. Also the cc's have sent letters to my house regarding her debt. I am hesistant to do anything that may wake up that 8k tiger.

ymmv

BofA 123 - 0/5K, Discover More 0/8K, Amex Blue 0/9.4k, Capital One Platinum 0/5k, Express 0/1350
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: steps to rebuilding credit w auto repo

Has the creditor updated the amount due to reflect their sale of the vehilcle after the repo, and thus offset of a portion of their loss?

Message 2 of 11
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

I am watching this post. I to have a car that was repo'd in 08.  *Stalking*

Fico 8 Scores as of 5/29/21
Equifax: 606 / Transunion 641 / Experian 647

Captial One Platinum: $500
Capital One QuickSilver: $2000
Discover IT: $1,500
Kohls: $300
Message 3 of 11
ymmv
Established Member

Yes. Afaik. The car was taken involuntary. She was late and in default. The car was aunctioned and sold. The difference is what is reported on two credit reports.
BofA 123 - 0/5K, Discover More 0/8K, Amex Blue 0/9.4k, Capital One Platinum 0/5k, Express 0/1350
Message 4 of 11
ymmv
Established Member

*bump*

Message 5 of 11
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

*bump*

Fico 8 Scores as of 5/29/21
Equifax: 606 / Transunion 641 / Experian 647

Captial One Platinum: $500
Capital One QuickSilver: $2000
Discover IT: $1,500
Kohls: $300
Message 6 of 11
ggcowens

I would like to know the advice on this one to.... I have a voluntary repo from July 07. But it's paid in full showing on two bureaus Ex and TU.
Message 7 of 11
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

I have a repo from 08 and I have just been ignoring and working around it. I have read alittle bit about the defiency balance and how you can fight it I just haven't wanted to tackle that yet.  Part of what i read states that when they sell the vehicle after repo they have to sell it for a fair amount. The question is what is considered fair and reasonable. My vehicle was only a year old, had less than 20,000 miles and they sold it for $2000.  No damages or anything so someone got a really, really good deal and I am left with a balance of $12,865. 

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 8 of 11
Shokk
Established Contributor

@cookiebird wrote:

I have a repo from 08 and I have just been ignoring and working around it. I have read alittle bit about the defiency balance and how you can fight it I just haven't wanted to tackle that yet.  Part of what i read states that when they sell the vehicle after repo they have to sell it for a fair amount. The question is what is considered fair and reasonable. My vehicle was only a year old, had less than 20,000 miles and they sold it for $2000.  No damages or anything so someone got a really, really good deal and I am left with a balance of $12,865. 

I don't think anyone would think $2000 for a year old car was fair or reasonable.  Have you contacted the OC?  Maybe someone input the numbers backwards.  I had my truck repo'd a little over 3 years ago when the market was in the tank.  Not to mention it was a lease.  I was still only left with a balance of $2600.

Sounds a bit suspicious to me.  I'd definitely call someone to find out what happened.  Or maybe an attorney.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@cookiebird wrote:

What state are you in?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.