cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stubborn paid medical collection keeping me under 700...please help!

tag
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

stubborn paid medical collection keeping me under 700...please help!

a few years back, the company i work for had what we thought were some issues with our insurance provider (which led to our health insurance coverage being dropped/reinstated repeatedly over a period of about a year and a half). every two months or so, we'd get a letter in the mail saying we no longer had coverage, followed by a new card a few weeks later. our HR person insisted that the checks were sent out and this was the insurance provider's fault.

fast forward a few years (3, to be exact). we now know that our former HR person (the one i referred to earlier) was stealing and embezzling large amounts of money from the company, and this is likely the reason for our insurance woes.

the problem is that i had two medical collections due to this insurance nonsense (bills that were coming in that i was thinking were paid by the insurance, ended up not being paid and showing up as a collection). one of them i was able to successfully get removed by using the hipaa process...the other one, the hospital refused to remove (and so did the CA). at that point, i was closing on a mortgage and the mortgage underwriters required that i pay the collection, which i did (it was only roughly $200, and i wasn't going to let that small amount prevent me from getting a house). here's where it gets interesting...even though they told me it would not be removed, it ended up dropping from TU and being marked as a paid collection on EQ. back in october, it was reinserted on TU as a paid collection.
when i paid it, i paid using the hipaa letter program and restrictive endorsement that the check was only to be deposited into the account of the OC (hospital).  that didn't work - as i mentioned above i ended up with a paid collection on both EQ and now (after it was reinserted) TU as well...

what's the best way for me to attack this? should i start the hipaa process over using the paid collection route? does the fact that this is clearly not my fault (the former HR stealing money and being the cause of our insurance issues) have any bearing on how to attack it? 

i sent the hipaa complaint courtesy letter to the hospital with the note that i would be filing a complaint 10 days after their receipt of the letter - that 10 days was up on friday and it's still on my reports. where do i go from here?
this one paid collection is (i believE) the only thing keeping me under 700 on equifax and transunion.  i am at 728 on EX, where it doesn't report, but stuck around 690 on EQ and TU...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: stubborn paid medical collection keeping me under 700...please help!

Yep... keep bugging the Hospital with the HIPAA letters... that's what I would do! If it has been paid to the OC (Hospital) the CA cannot keep reporting the collection. Also, keep sending EQ and TU the pre-HIPAA letters... don't give up! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

should i file the complaint against the hospital?

also, should i send them a copy of the letter i paid with and a copy of the check that it was for deposit only into their account?  will that help me?  if so, what is the statute i should be quoting?

Message 3 of 9
2NE1
Established Contributor

@crackers8199 wrote:

should i file the complaint against the hospital?

also, should i send them a copy of the letter i paid with and a copy of the check that it was for deposit only into their account?  will that help me?  if so, what is the statute i should be quoting?

have I PM'ed you the HIPAA steps before?

Message 4 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

no...i was following them from whychat's credit confusion site.  did i do it wrong?

Message 5 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

bump...2NE1, am i following the wrong procedure?

anyone else have any ideas?

Message 6 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

bump...

Message 7 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

bump...i have a courtesy letter ready to go out to the CA this afternoon, letting them know that i'll be filing a hipaa complaint.  am i on the right track?

Message 8 of 9
2NE1
Established Contributor

@crackers8199 wrote:

bump...i have a courtesy letter ready to go out to the CA this afternoon, letting them know that i'll be filing a hipaa complaint.  am i on the right track?

Thought I messaged you the HIPAA steps... check your inbox! Smiley Happy if you have any further questions, let me know!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.