cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loan charge off

tag
iamsc

student loan charge off

I have a charge off on my CR from Citibank that happened around 2010, I have received mail from CA regarding this account, but have thrown them away and nothing on the CR is showing which CA is holding this information.

I would like to at least receive info about who is holding it so that I can get this taken care of, but am unsure who to contact, should I contact Citibank and see if they know who has it or where should I start?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: student loan charge off

Hi iamsc!

Welcome to the forum, I am also new here but I am so relieved for you that CA has not reported your account.

I would contact Citi and find out.  At least you know that your student loan was from Citi.  Contact them and see what is going on. (moderators, please advise if this is better than trying to DV - not sure if upsetting original creditor is such a good idea.)

Or, I would try to DV (debt validation) and see what they say.  Search about PFD (Pay for Delete) as well **(edit, IF your account is now reported on credit report by CA.)** 

All you need to remember is - You do not want any collection whatsoever on your credit report.  I had SL (student loan) collection and had to go through painful and very time-consuming process.

Also, has Citi been reporting your student loans on your credit reports?  Make sure to get the most updated copy of your credit reports and thoroughly review it.  

Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: student loan charge off

You can contact Citibank and see if they still have the debt and if it was just assigned to a CA, if not, perhaps they can tell you who the account was sold to.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.