cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loan transferred- should "old" one remain on credit report?

tag
OSUBucks1218
Established Member

student loan transferred- should "old" one remain on credit report?

I had a student loan that was bought out by another lender (great lakes) in 2007. The first student loan is still on my CR. Should it be? Should I ask for it to be removed? The last activity was 11/2005 and it is reporting lates from Aug-Dec 2006. How should I handle the original student loan? Go to CRA and ask for removal? Great Lakes is no help at all.

3/5/13 TU 558, Experian 558 Equifax 552
3/19/13 TU 619 Experian 551 Equifax 558
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: student loan transferred- should "old" one remain on credit report?

It is pretty normal for that to happen.  It is not any different than an OC transferring it to a CA or another lender.  Both will show on your CR.

It should show a 0 balance but all the payment history will remain.

Message 2 of 3
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: student loan transferred- should "old" one remain on credit report?

@OSUBucks1218 wrote:

I had a student loan that was bought out by another lender (great lakes) in 2007. The first student loan is still on my CR. Should it be? Should I ask for it to be removed? The last activity was 11/2005 and it is reporting lates from Aug-Dec 2006. How should I handle the original student loan? Go to CRA and ask for removal? Great Lakes is no help at all.

I would leave it.  The age of the account is helping you.  Yes, you have lates from late 2006, but they're about to come off, & might not be hurting you that badly.  Are they 30 day lates, or something beyond that?  Once the lates drop off, the account should convert to a positive tradeline, & remain (in theory) for 10 years or possibly more, if you are lucky.  Great Lakes has no say in the matter.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.