tag
IrishUpstart
Established Member

students loan rehab and taxes

Bullet points:

-7th rehab payment goes through april 11th
-there is an offset on refund
-taxes are done but not filed and I am getting money back

Should I wait to file until after rehab is complete?
Should I file a formal extension?
Refund covers principle balance on loan and then some....should I file and just be done with it?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: students loan rehab and taxes

I would file an extension and wait to file your taxes until your refund-intercept has been lifted by the Treasury.

When reading the fine print in my rehab agreement, I saw that there was a clause stating that any payments via garnishment or tax-intercept would not count, since the deal was that it had to be 9 voluntary on-time payments.

So, if you pay it off via intercept, you might technically breach your rehab agreement and not get the full benefits (including deletion of the default notation from your CR).

That said, might be worth emailing your current rehab loan servicer and asking if that clause is in your agreement (I'd go with email so it's all in writing if any issues arise).

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 2 of 8
IrishUpstart
Established Member

Jolly good. Thank you for the input.
Message 3 of 8
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

My pleasure! As a favor to all us rebuilders, would you mind posting an update once you've been in touch with your servicer and decide what to do? Always helpful to leave a road-map for those who come later.

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 4 of 8
kjel
Established Contributor

You can check your offest status with the Treasury Offset Program via telephone automated service. https://www.fms.treas.gov/debt/top.html. I was headed into my last couple of rehab payments last spring and desperately needed to file because my daughter's financial aid renewal had to be done. I never made it onto the offset list and verified that with them so I was able to file a tax return. My rehab servicer did tell me if I was on the offset list to file an extension and wait to file until I was out of rehab and off the list.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 8
IrishUpstart
Established Member

Well, I believe that im just going to file the extension as the the agency handling the rehab (Progressive) isnt the friendliest or most professional. And im only 2 months away from finishing the rehab. Just gonna let it play out.

Just gotta figure out how to file the extension.
Message 6 of 8
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Just to save you some time:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Extension-of-Time-To-File-Your-Tax-Return

Message 7 of 8
IrishUpstart
Established Member

Thank you Jamex!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.