Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thecreditpros credit repair

tag
AwwwYeee
Regular Contributor

thecreditpros credit repair

Trying to get rid of some collections i have on my credit report.  Anyone ever used these guys?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: thecreditpros credit repair

I haven't had experience with them, but you may want to consider what you can do on your down without having to pay fees to anyone for essentially doing the same thing.  Many members here have had a lot of success with improving their credit profiles through their own efforts (myself included).

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 12
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

What collection agencies are there?

Are any scheduled to fall off? You could probably get some advice on your situation if you'd like to share your credit profile.

Either way, I agree and think you should try to see how much you could do yourself before paying someone.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 12
AwwwYeee
Regular Contributor

@Whitneyy wrote:

Are any scheduled to fall off? You could probably get some advice on your situation if you'd like to share your credit profile.

Either way, I agree and think you should try to see how much you could do yourself before paying someone.

It's midland and portfolio recovery.. Theyre not scheduled to fall off for another 4-5 years.  What can I do? 

Message 4 of 12
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@reggiereg86 wrote:

@Whitneyy wrote:

It's midland and portfolio recovery.. Theyre not scheduled to fall off for another 4-5 years.  What can I do? 

Have they contacted you recently? Have you ever sent a DV letter? Also, what's the SOL in your state for those loans?

You can do  100% of this yourself. In fact, some of those shady companies are going to recommend you do things that could hurt you more. At the end of the day, just remember that you're playing with fire. If these debts are actually yours, then these debt collectors can (and often do) sue to try and recover their money. I don't know about you, but when the risks are that high, I'd trust nobody but myself.

Read up on the FDCPA. There is proper protocol for how debt can be collect. Rule one, NEVER talk on the phone with them Always do everything in writing.

Once you've read up on the basics, then I'd evaluate the size of each outstanding debt vs my ability to pay. Debt collectors want money FAST, so often times they'll make deals like PFD or settlements for a % of what's owed... But, you've got to be willing to do the leg work, and as always YMMV.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 5 of 12
coterotie
Established Contributor

I'll add one other thing.  When you say you only want to communicate in writing, Midland, Portfolio Recovery and LVNV get rather huffy and start blowing smoke about legal action etc.  if you won't talke to them on the phone.   Stand your ground. The last thing you want to do is something which will restart SOL or be used against you as an admission of liability.

Writing allows you to speak carefully and document everything.

Message 6 of 12
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@coterotie wrote:

I'll add one other thing.  When you say you only want to communicate in writing, Midland, Portfolio Recovery and LVNV get rather huffy and start blowing smoke about legal action etc.  if you won't talke to them on the phone.   Stand your ground. The last thing you want to do is something which will restart SOL or be used against you as an admission of liability.

Writing allows you to speak carefully and document everything.

Very true. I found for me when I tried to talk to them on the phone, my emotions ran wild, my blood pressure increased, and I acted rashly. When I sat down at the computer and typed up a letter I could take my time, re-read (and edit) my wordings, and had very little stress. Not to mention, I had a paper trail of everything and no more stressful phone calls during business hours.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 7 of 12
AwwwYeee
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I just don't know where to start with all of this.  Credit seems like a foreign language to me. That's why I wanted to consult with people that have knowledge about it

Message 8 of 12
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@reggiereg86 wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I just don't know where to start with all of this.  Credit seems like a foreign language to me. That's why I wanted to consult with people that have knowledge about it

Yes, it's all a little strange at first. But, you're doing the right thing... I'm sure we're all glad to answer your questions.

My first step would be to relax, and then read this at least twice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Debt_Collection_Practices_Act

Those are your rights. Understanding them should help take the edge off.

Message 9 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@reggiereg86 wrote:

You came to the right place.

So since these collections aren't due to fall off for 4-5 years, I'm assuming the DOFD (Date of First Delinquency) on those collections is in the past 2-3 years.  That being the case, these are most likely within SOL for your state, so you do want to proceed with caution.   Are both of these collections unpaid?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.