Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to my Navy Federal experts

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: to my Navy Federal experts

The reason I say to close it when the time comes is because you will be paykng fees for absolutely everything. When the time comes and you have some pretty good cards by major banks, there is no reason to keep it. 

What you are speaking of about 'never close an account' generally refers to major bank cards without AFs where the CL helps with overall UTL. In my opinion, Secured cards do not fall in that category once you are able to obtain unsecured credit. 

Message 11 of 14
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Ok gotch you , thanks alot for your help will be applying now for that card
Message 12 of 14
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Navy Fed won't do business with you until you are paid in full. If you take a settlement on the debt, you get blacklisted. I'm dealing with the same thing now. Just paid an old NavChek and owe $900 from a business account where an employee stole the company debit card. I was told my situation didn't fall under the fraud claim because it was an employee....long story on that one but any time I have applied for anything, they don't even check my credit. I just got a letter that said "You have caused Navy Federal a loss" so I called about it and was told everything has to be PIF. No deals, to maintain good standing. Good luck!

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 13 of 14
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your advice Lindsay I'll definitely go that route and pay them in full before I apply for anything the goal was to get a 40k auto loan but I wanted to start with something small like 1k navcheck line of credit
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.