Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to pay or not pay

tag
Kat78
Valued Member

to pay or not pay

I have couple student loans that are less than 2000 to pay off. Question is at tax time would it benefit my score to pay off student loans in full? Will i see boost in my score?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Re: to pay or not pay

My understanding is yes, your score may possibly raise. Even without a score raise I think it is beneficial for your to pay off your student loan if you are capable of doing so.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 2 of 6
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Kat78 wrote:

I have couple student loans that are less than 2000 to pay off. Question is at tax time would it benefit my score to pay off student loans in full? Will i see boost in my score?

What else is on your credit report? Do you have any negative accounts or credit cards? If you do, it might be wise to consider paying those (or paying down your CCs) rather than your student loans, as the loans probably have less interest and they affect your score a bit less than revolving cards would.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 6
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Jasir wrote:

My understanding is yes, your score may possibly raise. Even without a score raise I think it is beneficial for your to pay off your student loan if you are capable of doing so.

+1

Your score will raise when you pay down your debt or student loan. Regardless if it's a charged off.

Message 4 of 6
Kat78
Valued Member

Have credit cards 2 to be exact, but I keep those down, and pay in full. Only other baddies I have is collection for 63 and 74 dollars in 2009, 2010. I'm working on those now too. I think my worst problem was late payments. However I set auto pay 10 months ago and have not had a late since. 

Message 5 of 6
Kat78
Valued Member

The student loan are also current still make monthly payments and thes. Have been taken out monthly directly through checking account for past 6 years.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.