Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to pay or not to pay

tag
amersafe
Valued Member

Re: to pay or not to pay

not yet i am looking to get a good gw form letter to use could you pm me a good one? also do they work? as for the law firm issue on wt grounds could you sue them for?

thanks

Message 11 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A GW letter is just that.  Asking them for a goodwill adjustment to your CR for either removing a late payment, a collection or what ever it is you would like done.  There is really no form letter that will benefit every individuals needs.  It needs to come from you and be about your situation.

Look at the Frequently Requested Threads in my signature.  There is a sample good will letter in there you could use as a template.  Just make it your letter.

Yes, GW letters do work.  Many on this forum has had great success with them.  It really depends on who and what it is you are requesting. 

Be sincere.

Most CAs are sued for FDCPA violations or reporting violations. 

Message 12 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Here is my personal opinion.

Because you have a specific timeline for your mortage, it's best to resolve everything with the CA asap. None of us here works for any CA, and we could care less whether they get paid today or tomorrow or next year. The sooner you do it, MAYBE they will be more willing to work with you. Most importantly, at least you know what's the outcome going to be with regards to those collections way before you get your mortage. You have ample of time to plan what your next step ought to be from then on. However if you are to drag it all the way until 1-2 months before your mortage, you're not leaving yourself with much breathing room. If something does not go according to the way you plan, your mortage or other plans will get delayed as well as a result. So it's best to get it done asap and leave yourself ample time for planning.

Start writing those goodwill letters and play nice. They might just be nice as well if you are nice. If that still fails, it's never too late to take them head on and consider other options then.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 16
oganesovich

I'm a bad advisor BUT my score is 592 and doesnt want to go up because of collection that I waited too long to take care of. Don't make my mistake please.

Fico 665 - Discover: $1250, BryLane Home: $600, Express: $250, King Size: $250, Boscov's: $250.
Message 14 of 16
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Here is my personal opinion.

Because you have a specific timeline for your mortage, it's best to resolve everything with the CA asap. None of us here works for any CA, and we could care less whether they get paid today or tomorrow or next year. The sooner you do it, MAYBE they will be more willing to work with you. Most importantly, at least you know what's the outcome going to be with regards to those collections way before you get your mortage. You have ample of time to plan what your next step ought to be from then on. However if you are to drag it all the way until 1-2 months before your mortage, you're not leaving yourself with much breathing room. If something does not go according to the way you plan, your mortage or other plans will get delayed as well as a result. So it's best to get it done asap and leave yourself ample time for planning.

Start writing those goodwill letters and play nice. They might just be nice as well if you are nice. If that still fails, it's never too late to take them head on and consider other options then.

+1

Sometimes the assumption is made that a PFD will work. Also a paid collection goes a long way in a manual review than in an unpaid collection if one can not get a PFD.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
mauve
Valued Contributor

I don't think there's a morality issue here - if we were talking about OP not paying and playing hardball forever with the OC, that's one thing. However, OP said that the adversary is a CA. A CA who probably bought that debt for pennies on the dollar, and we don't know what kind of tactics they're using. I feel no 'obligation' to pay a CA.

The debt is also past SoL, and OP is not seeking credit. It sounds to me like by the time OP wants a mortgage, the debt will be past CRTP. I say, OP, that if my reading of your post(s) is correct, that you DO have the leverage. I personally would probably send the CA a PFD about every 6 months until it was past CRTP, or I would totally ignore it - if they were calling me, I'd send them a FOAD (cease & desist - only communicate via mail) letter.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.