Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

took wrong advice...?

tag
DjVudoo
Established Member

took wrong advice...?

Hi, long time reader of the forums...decided to sign up.

when i was 20 i opened up a Cap 1 card...and lets say i screwed it up. everything fell off last year and never opened another credit card because i was in college. i just started working and have a decent paying job. talking to my brother (who also messed up with credit cards) told me to try again. i went to my credit union and they pulled my credit score for a credit card and i was declined. my EQ score was at 608. my debt to income ratio is to high (i owe 20k in student loans) they told me to do a secured loan to help boost credit. so i did a $300 secured loan  and been paying it on time. my brother told me i need to get a credit card....so i did and i got a Cap 1 card with a 300 CL. nothing fancy but its a start. well this is where things went kinda wrong. talking to my brother, he said to make things better with credit history, i need to get a big name card (chase, citibank, BoA, wells fargo). i said ok i give it a shot. i applied to chase and i recieved "i will get a notice in 10 days". probably got hit with a hard inquiry on my credit. so the question i have here is i believe i applied for another credit card to soon (cap 1 is barely opened) and thats bad (right or wrong). the thing is he said he did the exact thing and he got approved at BoA for a $500 credit card a week after he got his capital one and he had a 615 EQ score. advice? opinions? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: took wrong advice...?

Stop listening to your brother!!!!  lol

First off, see what they do.  If you get it, good.  If not, then call them and recon it.  You've already taken the HP.   You need to give that secured card time to garden!  At least 6 months.  And add a bit to it if you can, increasing it's TL.  It's like a savings account, it's your money anyway.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

His advice was generally sound in the progression, and obtaining both muttiple revolving, at least one of which is a major bank card, is solid advice.

The obvious proviso is when to app for the major bank card.

The reason FICO llikes to see multiple revolving is that it shows that you can effectively use discretionary credit.

It is a higher risk form of lending for a creditor, as they approve your use of their money up to the CL.

The better types of revolvings usually have better terms, and higher standards, one of which is showing a history of having managed that type of credit.

Yes, it was probably a bit premature, but at least you will see their answer.  The hard inquiry will no longer be scored after a year, so if you dont plan on apping for new credit within a year, it will not affect your future quest for new credit.  A learing experience that is not of major impact....

Message 3 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum 

Recon ASAP

Chase is top notch with recons

Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)

Be friendly and answer any questions they may have 

Good luck and let us know 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@DjVudoo wrote:

Hi, long time reader of the forums...decided to sign up.

when i was 20 i opened up a Cap 1 card...and lets say i screwed it up. everything fell off last year and never opened another credit card because i was in college. i just started working and have a decent paying job. talking to my brother (who also messed up with credit cards) told me to try again. i went to my credit union and they pulled my credit score for a credit card and i was declined. my EQ score was at 608. my debt to income ratio is to high (i owe 20k in student loans) they told me to do a secured loan to help boost credit. so i did a $300 secured loan  and been paying it on time. my brother told me i need to get a credit card....so i did and i got a Cap 1 card with a 300 CL. nothing fancy but its a start. well this is where things went kinda wrong. talking to my brother, he said to make things better with credit history, i need to get a big name card (chase, citibank, BoA, wells fargo). i said ok i give it a shot. i applied to chase and i recieved "i will get a notice in 10 days". probably got hit with a hard inquiry on my credit. so the question i have here is i believe i applied for another credit card to soon (cap 1 is barely opened) and thats bad (right or wrong). the thing is he said he did the exact thing and he got approved at BoA for a $500 credit card a week after he got his capital one and he had a 615 EQ score. advice? opinions? Thanks!

Lol yes, stop listening to your brother!  His advice is sound in a general way, but credit is personal. His score may be similar to yours and you may feel that you both have "bad" credit, but each person's credit file is very different. He may have more or less negatives. You said your only one fell off your report.. so it may be that you are considered to have "no credit" You said your debt to income ratio is high, and that is a factor when people issue credit cards. His might be lower. His account age might be older, and he might have active credit cards.

Getting the "credit builder loan" from your CU was probably a very good idea. Build that relationship with your CU. After 6 months of paying on time, and 6 months of history with paying that loan, maybe they will issue you a credit card. Credit Unions tend to have the best rates and higher credit limits on average than other credit card companies. They are sometimes also more willing to extend credit if you have a thinner file.  Also once you have had that Cap One account for 6 months, see about getting a credit limit increase, but make sure you have the balance on it paid off or at least under 10% when you ask.

In 6 months, bring them an updated credit report and talk to them. See if you would be approved for a CC with them. If you are, keep that for another 6 months. By then the inquiries you accumulated should be older, and many of them should age to a year which will boost your score. In the mean time, pay your bills on time, and do what you can to get your DTI ratio in a more comfortable balance.  You will also have more time in at your place of employment, which also helps. (You mentioned that you just started there)

Definitely call Chase and see if there is any information that they need in order to process your application and work hard to get them to reconsider if you are declined.

If you are declined... try again after doing the things mentioned above! Good luck to you!

(Also, don't apply for any thing else for at least 6 months no matter what your brother says to you, or even if you see others with similar scores getting approved for cards! It is a temptation but at this point, you're setting yourself up to get hard inquiries for no reason, or for cards with very low limits and bad terms)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.