Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

total debt compared to total payments every month

tag
chevyman
Contributor

total debt compared to total payments every month

I have a high total debt but once I get down to just student loans my total monthly payment will be under 300 for a DTI of less than 25% how much does the fact the loans total 45k affect me
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: total debt compared to total payments every month

The amount of the debt doesn't affect your score.  It could affect you applying for credit though if your DTI is high.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
chevyman
Contributor

If I figure right my DTI once I get down to just student loans will less than 25%
Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If your DTI is, lets just say, $300 and that is 25%; that means your total gross income is about $1200 per month.

You can do two things:  1) increase your income or 2) pay off the debt or 3) a combination of the above.

If your income really is $1200/month than it would be easier to increase your income. That will also give you extra funds to accelerate savings and payoff of your student loans. You don't say what the interest rate is on your student loans, but at $300/month and a $45k balance you are in it for the long term unless you can accelerate your payoff.

DTI = monthly debt payments divided by your gross monthly income.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.