cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to fix credit but can't get any.

tag
qd
Regular Contributor

Re: trying to fix credit but can't get any.

@shiner1 wrote:

I got a secured credit card with a 400 limit and 2 weeks ago put another 400, making it a 800 limit. Ive stayed perfect on all my payments, the medical bills are pretty old. Most recent being almost 4 yrs ago. Also did optoutprescreen.com because the home loan lady said it bumps your score a few points. I'm thinking the shopping cart trick is the next step. I started with a 540 and last time I checked TU it was 624. Since I checked that ive paid 3 more bills that were on there and had them removed. Just hitting a dead end..... 

It sounds like you are on the right track already with the secured card and getting medical collections removed.  Keep it up, but do be careful when wanting to apply...when you read here on the credit card forum all the success people are having in getting new cards, you get the urge to apply yourself and that is not always the best thing to do.  Somtimes just waiting 6 months before doing anything is all you need.  Let your secured card age a bit more and keep working on any remaining debt or collections on your reports.

Message 11 of 16
shiner1

Ive had the secured card since nov. Should I just wait longer? I'm just wanting a loan to pay my back taxes so that it'll help my credit and I won't have to pay the IRS fees and penalties

Message 12 of 16
qd
Regular Contributor

You mentioned getting denied for credit...how recent were these denials and what were they for?  What was the reason they gave you?  How many denials.  If they were recent I would wait, but YMMV kind of thing...but once you start getting denials, it's time to stop applying and wait...that has been my experience anyways.

Message 13 of 16
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

I have the same problem too. But I can't even get a secured card! I applied with captial one secured and was turned down. I applied for fingerhut last year and was turned down too. I only have a car loan that is at a really high interest rate and a credit card that has been the same credit limit since I opened it in 2009. Then bunch of student loans. I'm not sure what options I would have.

Message 14 of 16
shiner1

Exactly,  how can I build good credit if no one will give me any?

Message 15 of 16
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

@anca21bi wrote:

I have the same problem too. But I can't even get a secured card! I applied with captial one secured and was turned down. I applied for fingerhut last year and was turned down too. I only have a car loan that is at a really high interest rate and a credit card that has been the same credit limit since I opened it in 2009. Then bunch of student loans. I'm not sure what options I would have.

Have you tried OpenSky?  There's no HP for the app?  They approved me when no others would.  After a couple months with them I was approved for a secured Cap1 when I'd previously been denied.... 

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.