Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to rebuild credit, and today..

tag
ShinBeats
New Contributor

trying to rebuild credit, and today..

Stupid Medical collections that should've been paid by the insurance LOWERED my credit score by 23 points, down to 597. I don't/shouldn't have to pay them since my insurance should've covered it!! What can I do?

09/26/2010
EQ: 634

08/28/2014
EQ: 652
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: trying to rebuild credit, and today..

@ShinBeats wrote:

Stupid Medical collections that should've been paid by the insurance LOWERED my credit score by 23 points, down to 597. I don't/shouldn't have to pay them since my insurance should've covered it!! What can I do?

Call the insurance company up and find out what there agreements are to pay the bill. Some things are not covered, some have clauses where you are responsible for outstanding debt not covered by insurance.

It also depends on what type of insurance you are referring to. Health Insurance provided by your employer, Disability Insurance, Workers Compensation Insurance, Medicaid, as examples.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 3
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Re: trying to rebuild credit, and today..

Most insurance policies have co-payments and many have deductibles.  Usually, we pay them at the time of the appointment- but when there's lab work for instance, they send you the bill.

Also, lik JM said certain things may not be covered under your policy, or need prior approval that many doctors and/or clinics overlook when they feel a test or procedure is needed.

You need to look over your policy, contact whomever sent you the bill, and find out why you owe that amount.  It may be a mistake. They may not have had your correct Ins. info., who knows. But either way contact them and find out.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.