cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to repair incorrect credit reporting - can I sue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

trying to repair incorrect credit reporting - can I sue?

So, for sake of space, I'll get right to the point.

I am needing help.   In Jan/Feb of last year, I was supposed to be removed as an authorized user.  The User in spring of '09 became unable to pay any bills... In June of '09 Amex cancelled my account completely which made me go "what?"  BofA went from 9.9% to 27.99%, credit line remained the same, Chase went from 10,100 credit line to 6,700.00 - just above what I had on card and the % stayed at 7.24%  Their reasoning.. my credit report showed all sorts of issues.  I pulled all three credit reports and began disputes.  The cards that I was removed as an authorized user were still showing me as an authorized user.  I contacted the User - who stated that I had been removed, he called the companies and they began fixing the mistakes.  

In August, I was assured everything was fixed so I reapplied for my Amex explaining the mistakes - they denied me again.  Finally in December, Chase upped my credit to 800 less than what I originally had & B of A changed my % from 27.99 to 14.99%.  Amex is still denying me.   One of the reporting agencies still has Barclay's Bank still listing me as an authorized user as of today.   The User is still calling and they say that they are looking into it.  btw.. the user settled all his accounts for less than what he owed.    This has been such a nightmare for me to go through - as I am sure many of you understand and I even have panic attacks now b/c of the lack of credit available for larger purchase that I need to make for my home - which is why I had such good credit in the first place (well.. b/4 this mess at least).   I am continuing my fight w/ all this mess.. but it is just draining me and my family.

Someone suggested that I begin suing the credit cards companies b/c they refuse to reinstate my cards as they were and for the personal relationship damages caused by this credit headache... any suggestions?  Is this possible to do?

Thanks for your insight in advance :-) 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: trying to repair incorrect credit reporting - can I sue?

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately you can't sue. If you check the T & C of each CC, you'll find they have language in there that allows them to make changes to the account or even cancel. Your example is commonplace on here. CCCs have been ratejacking, CLDing, and cancelling otherwise positive accounts. Amex saw the reported damage as a possibility that it can happen to them too and they did a preemtive cancel.

I'd focus on getting your scores back up, balances down to $0 or close to that, and then try re-applying if your reports are clean. Also, you can check Amex's preapproval site (search in the box above...somewhere in here). This preapproval site will show you if you are preapproved for any Amex cards.

In the meanwhile, I'd pay in cash. If you got an Amex charge card, you'd have to PIF within a month anyway. Or use the Chase.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! :-)  I appreciate the advice!
Message 3 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, for sake of space, I'll get right to the point.

I am needing help.   In Jan/Feb of last year, I was supposed to be removed as an authorized user.  The User in spring of '09 became unable to pay any bills... In June of '09 Amex cancelled my account completely which made me go "what?"  BofA went from 9.9% to 27.99%, credit line remained the same, Chase went from 10,100 credit line to 6,700.00 - just above what I had on card and the % stayed at 7.24%  Their reasoning.. my credit report showed all sorts of issues.  I pulled all three credit reports and began disputes.  The cards that I was removed as an authorized user were still showing me as an authorized user.  I contacted the User - who stated that I had been removed, he called the companies and they began fixing the mistakes.  

In August, I was assured everything was fixed so I reapplied for my Amex explaining the mistakes - they denied me again.  Finally in December, Chase upped my credit to 800 less than what I originally had & B of A changed my % from 27.99 to 14.99%.  Amex is still denying me.   One of the reporting agencies still has Barclay's Bank still listing me as an authorized user as of today.   The User is still calling and they say that they are looking into it.  btw.. the user settled all his accounts for less than what he owed.    This has been such a nightmare for me to go through - as I am sure many of you understand and I even have panic attacks now b/c of the lack of credit available for larger purchase that I need to make for my home - which is why I had such good credit in the first place (well.. b/4 this mess at least).   I am continuing my fight w/ all this mess.. but it is just draining me and my family.

Someone suggested that I begin suing the credit cards companies b/c they refuse to reinstate my cards as they were and for the personal relationship damages caused by this credit headache... any suggestions?  Is this possible to do?

Thanks for your insight in advance :-) 

For the account that still shows you as Authorized User...have you called the creditor yourself? If not, you need to. Also, at this point you should dispute that account with the credit reporting agency that is still reporting it.

You say that in August you were "assured everything was fixed." Did you pull your credit reports and check? If you haven't, you need to pull all 3 of your reports (use annualcreditreport.com to get them free if you haven't done so in the past 12 mos.). If you need to pay for them, it is well worth the money. You have to see what is reporting. Don't buy the scores they offer, however, unless they are true FICO scores.

I would recommend that you do not apply for anything more until you know your credit reports are clear of this. You don't need wasted inquiries on your reports. That will lower your scores even more.

I can understand the panic and stress. What is it you need to buy for your home? Folks here may have some ideas that don't involve using an AmEx. Do you know your FICO scores? That helps determine what you may qualify for.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.