Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unauthorized credit inquiry

tag
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: unauthorized credit inquiry

Is one HP really worth this much time and effort? Even if you were to get $500, how much time do you have into fighting this already?

You froze your reports, it can't happen again, and IMHO it's not worth fighting. Unless you just have nothing better to do...
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 11 of 16
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@spydergto wrote:

Equifax is being utter retards in this matter.

When you use the R word like this, it really makes you look/seem foolish. I didn't read anything else you wrote after this because of how ignorant it is to use this word in this context. (Or at all, frankly.) 

Message 12 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If asserting lack of permissible purpose for a business transaction, you may wish ot review the following FTC staff opinion letter dated February 11, 1998 wherein they expressed their view of when a business obtaiins permissible purpose:

"1. Section 604(a)(3)(F) permits CRAs to provide consumer reports to any party who has a "legitimate business need for the information in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer." You ask whether this provision allows a dealer to obtain a consumer report on a person who "comes to an automobile dealership and requests information" from a salesman about one or more automobiles. In our view it does not, because a request for general information about products and prices offered does not involve a business transaction initiated by the consumer.

"More generally, you ask "when is the beginning of a business transaction" initiated by the consumer? In responding to this question, it is important to note that Section 604(a)(3)(F) limits this "business need" permissible purpose to transactions (i) that are "initiated" by the consumer and (ii) where the seller has a "legitimate business need" for the information. The staff's view is that an automobile dealer may obtain a report only in those circumstances in which the consumer clearly understands that he or she is initiating the purchase or lease of a vehicle and the seller has a legitimate business need for the consumer report information in order to complete the transaction.

"For example, a consumer who asks a dealer questions about prices and financing is not necessarily indicating an intent to purchase or lease a vehicle from that particular dealer. Nor does the dealer have a "legitimate" business need for a consumer report in this situation. The consumer may simply be comparison shopping. In such a situation, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a consumer report. If the dealer would like to see a consumer's credit report before answering general questions about the availability of financing, this must be explained to the consumer and written permission must be obtained. In the same way, a request to "test drive" a vehicle does not indicate an intent to initiate the purchase or lease of the vehicle. Accordingly, if a consumer asks to test drive a vehicle, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a report.

"Only in those circumstances where it is clear both to the consumer and to the dealer that the consumer is actually initiating the purchase or lease of a specific vehicle and, in addition, the dealer has a legitimate business need for consumer report information may the dealer obtain a report without written permission. In this regard, we note that obtaining information for negotiation purposes does not constitute a "legitimate" business need. The dealer must have a specific need for the information directly related to the completion of the transaction. For example, a dealer may obtain a report, if one is necessary, in order to arrange financing requested by the consumer.(1) The dealer may also obtain a report to check a consumer's creditworthiness when the consumer presents a personal check to pay for the vehicle. By contrast, a permissible purpose would not arise if a consumer intends to pay by cash.

FCRA 819 specifies that a party who knowingly and willfully obtains information from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under Title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both."

Message 13 of 16
spydergto
Regular Contributor

ou didnt addRe: unauthorized credit inquiry

good , you didnt add anything of value towards an answer to my original question , lifes not fair butter cup suck it up just because this kid over here got two ice creams and you didnt get one starting to cry doesnt change the out come. 

Ex 750 10/22/2013 Eq 651 11/09/2013 TU 721 12/9/2013

5/14/14 Equifax – 673 Experian – 744 Transunion – 722

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 14 of 16
spydergto
Regular Contributor

if you take that approach is me robbing one teenweenie little bank a federal crime ? why not just slap him on the wrist and let em go... well, if you dont have experience or something to add, just like the other post , lifes not fair , i got screwed in this situation and came here looking for wisdom from someone else who had , 

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 15 of 16
spydergto
Regular Contributor

Robert EG , this was the droid i was looking for ... thank you , the issue has been resolve the "owner" of the company actually got it removed, it took almost a month and a half but the damage has been removed.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.