Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

united Federal dinged me 30 days

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

united Federal dinged me 30 days

From the beginning, I refinanced a car in March. The first payment was May 3. A hail storm came through on May 9th. The insurance company totaled it and paid the value of the car. I made payments for 2 months while scrambling for reliable transportation for 100 mile round hike to work. USAA mailed the check 6/27. As a condition to the refi, I had to have gap insurance but I never understood why they were the insured. Anyway, they posted the account 7/6 so surely the whole deal should be wrapped up in July were my thoughts so I didn't make that months payment. The gap claim was not submitted until 7/21 but paid 7/28. I know I was cutting it close but I had a 98 ford ranger in the shop that had to get out. Needless to say the check did not post until 8/9. They closed the account showing 30 days on trans union, experian 30 days more two or three times, and Equifax not more than two payments past due. 

My score dropped 45-50 points! I wrote a letter to the CEO but so far nothing. What would you suggest I do?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: united Federal dinged me 30 days

I moved to Rebuilding Your Credit as you are more likely to get better answers here. 

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

All late payments are not reportable to a CRA.

The CRA reporting manual defines a reportable 30 day late as being at least 30 days past the billing due date.

You can thus be late for up to 30 days before it becomes reportable.

What was the billing due date of the payment that they reported as being a 30-late?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't make July 3 payment. The check was posted 8/9...so it would have been 36 days past due. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If do not hear back from the CEO, should I try the credit bureau?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If do not hear back from the CEO, should I try the credit bureau?

You can try, but the payment was technically 30 days late, so the CB is not likely to change anything.  Next time, be sure to communicate with the lender and the insurance company rather than assuming something was taken care of. 

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the reporting is accurate, you have little chance of getting the CRA to remove.

They are in the business of providing credit reports that are as complete as possible, and dont entertain good will deletions of accurate into.

They even notify furnishers that they should not grant good will deletions of accurate info.

Good will reqeusts should go to the creditor, not the CRA.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.