Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upaid

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

upaid

I have a small debt with a college.  Should I pay it or let it go to collections so I will be able to settle with the balance better?  When the school sends it to collections, does it automatically go to your credit file?  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: upaid

Letting a debt be referred for collection is never a good move.

First, you have a debt collector on your heels. 

Second, they are permitted, once they have obtained collection authority, to report that fact to the CRAs, which is then scored by FICO as an additionally derogatory item.

Most debt collectors will report as a collection tactic, knowing that consumers who pull their credit reports and scores will see the negative impact, and thus their reporting could be an additional incentive for the consumer to pay.  Once reported, later payment of the debt is not basis for deletion of their reporting.  So you are relegated to asking for good will, either prior to payment in the form of a pay for delete offer, or after payment by way of a standard good-will request.

The preferable option is to pay the OC before they send to collection.  If the OC has already reported, you can make your PFD offer to them, and thus attempt to get all negative reporting removed.

Collections do not automatically get reported.  It is the option of any debt collector whether they report.  If they are a major debt collector, reporting is usually a standard collection practice.

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: upaid

+1 RobertEG.  I could never advocate allowing a debt to go to collections.  I would contact them and make arrangements.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.