Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update on capital one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

update on capital one

I don't know if you remember last week sometime Capital One called me and was harassing me about a debt, which I told them I never put on my card. I had used the card, paid it off, and then closed it, yet somehow they said I used the card after it was closed and never paid the bill. The fraud department called me a liar and I hung up on them, because they wouldn't even listen and kept insisting I lied about the charge (it was to AT&T and now I think I left it in my old apartment & whoever moved in used it) because I haven't seen the card since I moved! 

Anyway, I received a letter today, dated Feb 2nd, which says they investigated and found it to be valid (that means I was right, correct?) and that they would update with all of the credit reporting agencies. 

I just checked and it's gone! That must be why my score dropped (even though it was a FAKO score) .. I have so many baddies I didn't even notice when it was gone when I last checked on the 6th. It's definitely not there anymore yay OMG .. and it's awesome because there were a lot of 'lates' on it, and yeah it was an old one from 2007 but it had an unpaid balance which was strange because almost all of my old debt is paid off, so I am glad to see it completely gone from my credit report. 

Wow amazing! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: update on capital one

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if you remember last week sometime Capital One called me and was harassing me about a debt, which I told them I never put on my card. I had used the card, paid it off, and then closed it, yet somehow they said I used the card after it was closed and never paid the bill. The fraud department called me a liar and I hung up on them, because they wouldn't even listen and kept insisting I lied about the charge (it was to AT&T and now I think I left it in my old apartment & whoever moved in used it) because I haven't seen the card since I moved! 

Anyway, I received a letter today, dated Feb 2nd, which says they investigated and found it to be valid (that means I was right, correct?) and that they would update with all of the credit reporting agencies. 

I just checked and it's gone! That must be why my score dropped (even though it was a FAKO score) .. I have so many baddies I didn't even notice when it was gone when I last checked on the 6th. It's definitely not there anymore yay OMG .. and it's awesome because there were a lot of 'lates' on it, and yeah it was an old one from 2007 but it had an unpaid balance which was strange because almost all of my old debt is paid off, so I am glad to see it completely gone from my credit report. 

Wow amazing! 

That's great that it is gone...but I'm not clear on what you posted about their letter - tdid hey said that the charges on the card were valid ??  Or that your dispute was valid ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
TanterBeans
New Contributor

That's great news HardHit!! Congrats...

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says my fraud claim was valid! 

Message 4 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

+1

Nice to see a OC actually admit their error and correct it.

Message 5 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It says my fraud claim was valid! 

Ok cool !!  In that case you should be in the clear, congrats on getting it resolved and removed from your CRs..  

BUT...make sure that you save the letter from Cap1 in case somebody over there forgets that it was a fraudulent charge.   Or in case a CA somehow gets the account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good suggestions pizzadude, I feel like framing it. 

The reason I'm just so happy is because they called me after I applied for the cap 1 secured card to say there was activity on my account and why hadn't I paid this bill from 2007. I explained until I was blue in the face that it wasn't my bill and the person in the fraud department was so rude. I said, why are you acting as if I am a liar, I should know if I placed a charge or not. She said, 'well it is your charge and you're going to have to pay for it and we're going to prove it." .. to which I said, 'No, I don't acknowledge this debt as mine." and she said "that's your right as a consumer." and then she said, 'Do you want to stay on the line while I call AT&T and listen in?" and I said, "No I do not, I don't like your policies." and hung up on her. 

So it's nice to get a letter which says I was right all along, I hope she felt a bit of humility after for how she was treating me. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.