Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wage garnishment midland Credit jugment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: wage garnishment midland Credit jugment

@Anonymous wrote:
So I just read something regarding Credit unions do not sell charge offs to debt buyers. All of my debt about 14k is with the credit union I had. Only debt im paying to a debt collector is a goodyear card thats the only credit I have out side of my credit union bank.

So I looked at my report and it dose not say they sent to collections exept they had their own colections in house and when they could not collect they just charged off and ended my membership. Its been since 2016 and only see midland as collections . am I ok ? I hope the only debt I have to pay is goodyear witch is owned by city bank.

It would show on your report if the CU was reporting the debt. If they are not reporting it and they dont send their bad accounts out to a outside CA then it wont be on your report so it would not drag your credit file down at this time..

If thats the case all you need to pay off at this time would be goodyear..

The debt with the CU was that over bad checks and debit card purchases? If so they might not have sent it to collections but im willing to bet they reported it to chexsystems, telecheck people like that and that will still effect you in the long run... They might also be able to do that with CC debt that you might have accumulated with them. Im not 100% sure on that part though..

However after you pay off goodyear i recommend you get with the CU and setup a payment plan with them to pay them off because its not a matter of if they decide to send it to a collections agency or even sue you if the SOL hasnt lapsed but it is just a matter of when.

Who are you using to pull your credit report from?

~ Shawn

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a personal loan,credit card,and a car loan (car was repoed) it show I still have a balance with them.

I know they tried to collect 4/2016 after my accounts were charged off but never was hit with a letter of then suing me or a jugement so far. All debt with School First Fedral CU will fall off in 2020.

Should I be worried I dont want to get any letters from them suing me. I think its also a small credit union for California but not to shure.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also all pay due payments say 0 but still show I have a balance.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Also all pay due payments say 0 but still show I have a balance.

Whats the SOL ( statute of limitations ) for your state? If its past the statute of limitations time frame then they cant sue you to seek reimbursement. What they still can do though is send everything over to a collections company.

A closed account showing a unpaid ballance will still hurt you & if the car was repossessed then that should also be showing on your credit report..

I really would start working with the CU as soon as you can like right after you get goodyear paid off in full 100%... Remember the whole point of repairing and fixing your credit isnt to just get rid of whats hurting you right now but to also take care of anything lingering behind so it dont popup on your credit in the future..

Who are you using to pull your credit reports? Im asking this because some of the 3rd party report providers only show a very limited amount of information causing you to miss tons of valuable insights VS others give a pretty detailed report.

~ Shawn

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

KARMATRANSUNION INTERACT
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 years limit CA
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
KARMATRANSUNION INTERACT

Credit Karma can be a hit & miss, You shouldnt rely on it to analyze your file for quality repair purposes, Also their scores are junk they use the vantagescore3.0 model

Pull your reports from annualcreditreport.com if you can. They will give you your credit reports free every 12 months. If you dont qualify for that then i recommend you pull your credit report with checkfreescore.com They have a $1 7 day trial. Just call before the 7th day to cancel and to keep the product going they will give you a extra month free then if you call again to cancel before the end of the free month they will drop the price to $2.99 a month.

They use the vantagescore3.0 model for their scores but their reports for all 3 credit bureaus are SPOT ON.

A collection that is on your Transunion file might not be on your Experian file & vice versa So its important to have all 3 reports from all 3 bureaus.

~ Shawn

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok good new and bad news.

I called my credit union today and they have not sent it to a CA or to an atterny. Its been a year and a half since last the charge off.

But I owe 18,700 to them. They are going to see if they would work with me on a payment plan up to 100 a month. The worst is 200 to 300 and they do like 1000 a month but they know my situation a few years ago when I whent to Family Court,lost my job, the fact I pay child support and what I have left to live off every month now.

They also know I have had credit cards and loans and even a car loan in the past with them that all of thoes were paid off. They know I always payed my debt in the past hopefully that helps un geting this payment plan so I can just pay 100.

They also asked if I wanted to get my membership back witch they said I can as long as I pay my debt.

I also told them because I get to claim my kids I get 10k in tax returns and could pay this off in two years with just tax returns. I told them I would put this comming tax return to pay my debt.

They told me they will see if they can do this for me but will have to look into it. The lady wrote down everything going on in my life and past life to try to get a good payment deal.

I make 1252 every month after taxes and Child Support.

I pay little to no rent(living at my parents house) but told them I pay 800.

Bills are 100 for a trafic ticket
63 for a phone bill
30 bucks a week for gas.

I dont pay child care yet told them I do it was 180 a month but they said I dont have to pay becuse I am low in come thats good.

Not to mention dippers wips and food.

I hope I can get this deal so I pay just 200 a month for both Midland and my bank. Both surprisingly were willing to work with me.

If its worst I can still do 200 I can even push it to 300 for my benk debt but told them if it came down to it I could not pay 1000 a month. I told them I would be in the negative and wouldn't pay my child care nore keep my job and a roof over my head. Even told them I wouldn't be able to pay you and would rather get a judgement because it would be less 79 bucks a check. But she told me not to stress we are here for you I know what you are going through dont worry.

They have 100% good reviews been a member since 2008. My whole family are members even my kids.

I just hope things work out wont know in 2 to 3 days.

But did I just kick my self by starting the debt timer?

I mean it hase been a year almost 2 years since they stopped trying to collect and they never sent it to a CA or attery they just charged it off.
Message 18 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It might be helpful to make sure you clearly understand the processes, both for credit reporting of the derogs, when/if they can bring civil action to obtain a judgment, and how subsequent wage garnishment or attachment of assets works.

Credit Reporting:

1. A creditor can refer a delinquent debt to a debt collector without selling the debt.  They can simply hire a debt collector to attempt collection on their (the creditor's) behalf, and still retain ownership.  Thus, you can have a collection report on any delinquent debt.

Both the creditor and the debt collector can simultaneously report on the same debt. 

If the creditor has charged-off the debt and still owns it, they can refer to a debt collector, and the creditor account can report any delinquencies, such as a charge-off, and the debt collector can also report their collection.

2.  Any collection or charge-off must be excluded from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of your first delinquency (DOFD) on the account with the creditor.  That exclusion applies regardless of whether or not the debt is paid, or you are under a payment plan.

Judgment and Garnishment/attachment of assets:

1.  Unrelated to the issue of credit report exclusion, the owner of a delinquent debt can bring civil action to obtain a judgment at any time up to expiration of the statute of limitations for your state.  The running of the SOL usually begins on the same date as the DOFD that is used to determine credit report exclusion, but unlike credit report exclusion, an SOL can be reset if you make any payments on the debt.

Thus, in each case where you enter into a payment plan, you have likely set a new begin date of their ability to bring civil action and seek a judgment.

One of the reasons why debt owners are so willing to enter into payment plans is that it "resets" the SOL period within which they can later seek a court judgment.

However, there is no reset of the credit report exclusion period for a collection or charge-off based on any payments made against the debt.

2.  If they bring civil action and obtain a judgment, that judgment does not itself order any wage garnishment or attachment of assets, such as taking of eligible property.

The debt owner must first obtain a judgment ordering payment.  If you do not comply within the judgment period, the owner can then return to court and request a separate "writ of satisfaction," which is an additional order that then permits specific actions to recover the judgment debt, such as garnishment of pay or taking of property by the sheriff.

The numerous questions as to what can be attached or how much can be garnished is defined under the laws of your state, and is determined by the court after their review of your actual financial situation.. Thus, whether they can garnish, and if so, how much, can only be determined by the court based on the relevant laws and your financial situation.  In many cases, a consumer may be shielded from any ability to garnish any wages, making the judgment uncollectible.  

You should consult an attorney for advice as to your potential liability if a debt owner seeks a writ of satisfaction.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.