Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what can cause a 10 point drop?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what can cause a 10 point drop?

I got an email today saying my credit score has changed... i thought for the better but it was a 10 point drop. when I look at my report in detail I am not seeing what caused the drop. I have no late payments on my report and no new collections...

I know 10 points is not huge but I am just wondering what are some things I may be over looking. I did have a student loan that recently went from deferment into repayment... but that wouldn't cause a drop would it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mmb
Established Member

Re: what can cause a 10 point drop?

It probably shouldn't. Have your balances increased on anything? If you use Credit Karma or Credit Sesame, they usually identify why there's an increase. I also use CreditKeeper through my Orchard Card and they're really good at explaining everything.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not use those but I will sign up for it. Would using a credit card cause a drop? Bc I also had an alert saying my lane bryant card balance went up by 43 percent. I used it for the first time in months about 2 weeks ago
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay I just got another email saying a new collection was added however... I checked its not a new collection... Its my verizion collection that is with midland and has been on my record for over a year now! Ugh
Message 4 of 6
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I'm guessing the CC utilization caused the drop. A month-to-month increase of just a few percent can cause a drop of multiple points (as I've found out myself).
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay I just got another email saying a new collection was added however... I checked its not a new collection... Its my verizion collection that is with midland and has been on my record for over a year now! Ugh         

This exact thing happened to me a a few months ago with Verizon and the funny thing was that it happened AFTER I paid them in full.

I pay my bill, Verizon confirms payment, then a few weeks later I get an email saying that my score had gone down. I check my report and notice that a new account with a collection company had opened up, listed at zero dollars, with Verizon in the notes. I call said company and they tell me the balance is paid in full.

As it turns out, I was at the stage in late payment where Verizon was selling my outstanding bill to a collection agency, but the process can apparently take a few weeks and I was right smack in the middle of it. A few weeks later, my rating was right back where it was.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.