Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do i do with this??

tag
muumike
Regular Contributor

what do i do with this??

Had a account with tmobile(OC) that went to collection with Enhanced Recovery (CA listed on reports). Handled debt PIF through OC and CA recently updated to $0 balance.

Question: shouldn't they remove the tradeline if I handled it through the OC directly? To address this, should I send them a DV? From my understanding, this should be off my report since OC who was not reporting accepted my debt payment (after issuing me a bill prior to payment and payment confirmation/updating balance to $0 through paperwork directly given to me), and it seems on my report like Enhanced was the one that collected the payment.

I would love some help with this one guys.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: what do i do with this??

@muumike wrote:
Had a account with tmobile(OC) that went to collection with Enhanced Recovery (CA listed on reports). Handled debt PIF through OC and CA recently updated to $0 balance.

Question: shouldn't they remove the tradeline if I handled it through the OC directly? To address this, should I send them a DV? From my understanding, this should be off my report since OC who was not reporting accepted my debt payment (after issuing me a bill prior to payment and payment confirmation/updating balance to $0 through paperwork directly given to me), and it seems on my report like Enhanced was the one that collected the payment.

I would love some help with this one guys.

Unfortunately, paying the OC doesn't change that fact that it went to collections, so the CA is still allowed to report  Smiley Sad    However, I would try to get the OC to request the CA to remove their reporting ~ sometimes this is successful, but not always.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 17
someone379
Regular Contributor

I thought that items in collections had to be paid through the CA, ... Is there any advantage / disadvantage to trying to deal with the OC vs the CA?   I am getting ready to tackle about 10 CA line items this month and was going to work with them with PFD requests.

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 3 of 17
muumike
Regular Contributor

Should I GW the OC and/or CA instead of trying to DV the CA? Or do I just call the OC and see if they can request the tradeline be removed?

I figured since I handled it directly through the OC without ever communicating with the CA that they could be tagged for incorrectly reporting that the account was paid through them whereas the OC does not report as a tradeline as well.

Message 4 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@someone379 wrote:

I thought that items in collections had to be paid through the CA, ... Is there any advantage / disadvantage to trying to deal with the OC vs the CA?   I am getting ready to tackle about 10 CA line items this month and was going to work with them with PFD requests.

Paying either the CA or the OC depends on who is reporting, or also if you are trying to do a PFD, or who actually owns the debt.   Sometimes companies will still accept payments even if they have a CA also working on their behalf to collect the debt.    If an OC has sold the debt then you usually have to work through the CA to pay.

I would always rather work with the OC to settle a debt, but if the CA is reporting and the OC isn't then you should work with the CA and hopefully get a PFD.

Message 5 of 17
muumike
Regular Contributor

When I contacted OC on a whim, they said I could deal directly with them instead. I decided to PIF to the OC even after receiving a dunning from the CA with a settlement amount for about 40% of total debt owed. Where I PIF'd I would think that makes me a little more viable to have them remove it, no?? Or did I basically just get suckered?

Message 6 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@muumike wrote:

Should I GW the OC and/or CA instead of trying to DV the CA? Or do I just call the OC and see if they can request the tradeline be removed?

I figured since I handled it directly through the OC without ever communicating with the CA that they could be tagged for incorrectly reporting that the account was paid through them whereas the OC does not report as a tradeline as well.

I would start with the OC, and ask them to leverage the CA to remove the colletion.    I believe that the CA is allowed to report the current balance of $0;   even if the OC was paid is doesn't change the fact that it was sent to collections.

Message 7 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@muumike wrote:

When I contacted OC on a whim, they said I could deal directly with them instead. I decided to PIF to the OC even after receiving a dunning from the CA with a settlement amount for about 40% of total debt owed. Where I PIF'd I would think that makes me a little more viable to have them remove it, no?? Or did I basically just get suckered?

Yes, I would leverage it, and would certainly let the OC know that you expect them to tell the CA to remove the collection since you paid in full.  

Message 8 of 17
muumike
Regular Contributor

Just spoke with OC and they said they cannot do anything to have CA remove the TL. What would be best next step?
Message 9 of 17
muumike
Regular Contributor

Additionally, they said they forwarded my payment info over to CA, but my bank statement says the OC proccessed the payment.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.