Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what else to do-PLEASE HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what else to do-PLEASE HELP!

I am going thru a pretty nasty divorce.  In the provisional divorce my husband was suppose to pay for all the house hold bills including our credit cards and auto loans.  He chose not too.  My credit score went from the low 700's to 470 in a matter of 3 months. (before I figured out what happened).  I am in a house that I am suppose to be buying in March, so I need to get my credit score to a min. of 640 by then.  So I need to raise it 170 points in 3 months.  I have contacted each of the credit bureaus and disputed everything since he was suppose to pay for everything. (do you think I will win that?) I also have disputed one collection that was listed on the report and when I got my divorce settlement last week I just went ahead and paid off all the debt that was in my name or joint (except for the mortgage, which my name has been removed from already)

I had perfect credit history until these past few months.  and am SO angry right now, but want to make sure I can get the house financed. 

Do you realistically think that the credit bureaus will remove these because of the court documents?  And if so, do you think it will increase my credit score that much?  And if is there anything else I should be doing?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: what else to do-PLEASE HELP!

I'd start with having myself removed from any AU cards.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize I already did that as well.  However, that was just one card.  There were three more that we were joint holders on.  Thanks for the advice though

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Divorce decrees have little leverage when it comes to credit reporting.  I would be surprised if they removed anything.

I would contact the CCC and talk to them about it.  They may or may not be willing to take you off the card but I would venture to say that even if they do, you would still be held jointly responsible for any monies owed before your removal.  Most CCC could care less about what a divorce decree says.

Your ex would be in contempt of court for not following court ordered payments.  You would need let the courts know he has not been paying. It could mean jail time and that would be a decision you need to make.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.