Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what looks better?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what looks better?

I have a number of student loans out, and Im wondering if it would look better credit wise if I make payments each month ( pay a little more than required) or work like a maniac to pay it all off within a year?  Everything seems to be awful except my length of credit history.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: what looks better?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a number of student loans out, and Im wondering if it would look better credit wise if I make payments each month ( pay a little more than required) or work like a maniac to pay it all off within a year?  Everything seems to be awful except my length of credit history.

IMO it's always better to pay any debt off as fast as possible. Being debt free should always be your #1 goal.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 3
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: what looks better?

If you have the extra money to throw at the student loan debt, I would probably do that. However, with that said, isn't the interest rate on SL's like REALLY low? You will see more of a bump in score of throwing extra money toward any CC debt (if you have that) and getting utilization down versus throwing extra money towards an installment loan - they are not "scored" the same. AS Marinevietvet said, being debt free is always a good thing.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.