cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what now?

tag
breeo

what now?

My family wants to buy a home. My credit is stuck at 597. What do I do now? I have paid everything off except my school loans. Is it just a waiting game now? I signed up for the score watch hoping it would start moving up now that I have paid all my accounts but nothing is changing. Is there anything that I can do?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Re: what now?

Do you have any healthy payment history? Like a credit card? Car loan? Etc?

Message 2 of 8
lpayton
Regular Contributor

@breeo wrote:

My family wants to buy a home. My credit is stuck at 597. What do I do now? I have paid everything off except my school loans. Is it just a waiting game now? I signed up for the score watch hoping it would start moving up now that I have paid all my accounts but nothing is changing. Is there anything that I can do?

did you ask the collection agencies for a PFD? Are there collections still on your credit showing a zero balance? Or are they gone completely?  It may help your score quite a bit if you can get some of the collections you have paid completely deleted if you havent already.

Message 3 of 8
breeo

I entered a consolidation company that told me not to converse with the cc companies
So my payment history is horrible though the balances are paid off.
ALL of my account are STILL on my report as "paid collections". What is a PDF ? How do I go
About getting them deleted? Who do I contact? I am SO confused! Thank you so much for writing back!
I thought once I paid everything off my credit would improve... And that
Is just not happening Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

a PFD letter is for unpaid collections,an agreement to pay in exchange for a delete.

But this is not what you need, You need to contact the CA's that are paid and ask for a delete.

One way to do this is call by phone or send a GW (good will) letter by  u.s.mail or email.

Here's a copy of a  G W Letter

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 8
lpayton
Regular Contributor

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

a PFD letter is for unpaid collections,an agreement to pay in exchange for a delete.

But this is not what you need, You need to contact the CA's that are paid and ask for a delete.

One way to do this is call by phone or send a GW (good will) letter by  u.s.mail or email.

To the OP, what Lightnin wrote above, works more often than not.  I am in the process of doing the same thing you are (asking the collection agencies to delete old accounts once paid) and they are surprisingly cooperative.  What I did:  Pay the collection with a check, and then dispute it online with a credit monitoring service.  In the comments section of the online dispute, I write "Paid in full, request to be deleted approved by (NAME OF PERSON AT COLLECTION AGENCY YOU SPOKE WITH).  Please delete per conversation dated 11/11/1111.  Submit.  I have done this now 3 times, and it has worked each and every time.  Just make sure you get a solid verbal agreement and in writing too if you can.  Try to get supervisors on the phone at the debt collector's...they aren't as bitter and angry as the regular CSR's.  Hope this helps.   You can do it! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@lpayton wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

To the OP, what Lightnin wrote above, works more often than not.  I am in the process of doing the same thing you are (asking the collection agencies to delete old accounts once paid) and they are surprisingly cooperative.  What I did:  Pay the collection with a check, and then dispute it online with a credit monitoring service.  In the comments section of the online dispute, I write "Paid in full, request to be deleted approved by (NAME OF PERSON AT COLLECTION AGENCY YOU SPOKE WITH).  Please delete per conversation dated 11/11/1111.  Submit.  I have done this now 3 times, and it has worked each and every time.  Just make sure you get a solid verbal agreement and in writing too if you can.  Try to get supervisors on the phone at the debt collector's...they aren't as bitter and angry as the regular CSR's.  Hope this helps.   You can do it! Smiley Happy

Wow - great job - but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone going into a mortgage.  A dispute comment will stop it in it's tracks.  If you have some time (like months) before you are going to apply for a mortgage, then it might be a suggestion to consider.  If you don't have the time to wait, or don't want to wait, then do not dispute anything.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 8
lpayton
Regular Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

@lpayton wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Wow - great job - but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone going into a mortgage.  A dispute comment will stop it in it's tracks.  If you have some time (like months) before you are going to apply for a mortgage, then it might be a suggestion to consider.  If you don't have the time to wait, or don't want to wait, then do not dispute anything.

thats the problem, he needs them removed before he can qualify for the mortgage (unless i misunderstood the question, which is very possible)..but good to know that, I didnt know disputes stop mortgages! Yikes!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.